Jun 25, 2009, 5:07 PM EST
- Frank Thomas told ESPN radio Thursday that he’s still open to playing again, but that he getting closer to announcing his retirement.
Thomas isn’t expecting anyone to come knocking on his door now that we’re three months into the season.
“That percent right now is probably about five percent, since we’re so
deep into the season now,” Thomas said on ESPN 1000. “But I’m still in
shape, ready to go, if anything happens.”
- Despite saying earlier in the week that he’d remain in the
rotation for now, the Pirates demoted Ian Snell to Triple-A on
Thursday, apparently at his request.
Snell had turned in three straight quality starts before struggling in
2 2/3 innings against the Indians on Tuesday. It sounds like Snell
might be at least as fatigued mentally as physically, though his
velocity has been down for most of the year and his slider just isn’t
breaking like it used to. He’s always had question marks in that area,
though. Whether it’s a lack of drive or confidence or intelligence, I’m
not sure, but it’s his arm that made him a major leaguer, not his head.
- The Mariners have lost shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt to the 15-day disabled list because of a hamstring strain.
Is it a loss, even if his backup is hitting .128? Ronny Cedeno has
been a complete bust offensively while seeing more playing time of
late, but he has the same sort of offensive potential as Betancourt and
he is the better defender. The Mariners may well be better off.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)