Jun 26, 2009, 12:42 PM EDT
* David Ortiz batted cleanup last night
for the first time since May 13, 2005, going 0-for-3 with a strikeout.
Even after the hitless game he’s 18-for-58 (.310) with six homers this
month, as only Albert Pujols and Troy Tulowitzki have gone deep more
often in June.
* Demoted to the low minors three weeks ago, Fausto Carmona made his Single-A debut last night
and took a no-hitter into the seventh inning, finishing with 6.1 frames
of one-hit, shutout ball. He struck out seven and most importantly
handed out just one walk after issuing 41 free passes in 61 innings
with the Indians.
* Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News writes about
Matt Holliday’s struggles in Oakland, which while somewhat surprising
shouldn’t be coming as a shock to anyone. During five seasons with the
Rockies he hit .280 with an .803 OPS away from Coors Field. In three
months with the A’s he’s hit .269 with a .790 OPS.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)