Jun 26, 2009, 12:42 PM EDT
* David Ortiz batted cleanup last night
for the first time since May 13, 2005, going 0-for-3 with a strikeout.
Even after the hitless game he’s 18-for-58 (.310) with six homers this
month, as only Albert Pujols and Troy Tulowitzki have gone deep more
often in June.
* Demoted to the low minors three weeks ago, Fausto Carmona made his Single-A debut last night
and took a no-hitter into the seventh inning, finishing with 6.1 frames
of one-hit, shutout ball. He struck out seven and most importantly
handed out just one walk after issuing 41 free passes in 61 innings
with the Indians.
* Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News writes about
Matt Holliday’s struggles in Oakland, which while somewhat surprising
shouldn’t be coming as a shock to anyone. During five seasons with the
Rockies he hit .280 with an .803 OPS away from Coors Field. In three
months with the A’s he’s hit .269 with a .790 OPS.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)