Jun 26, 2009, 12:42 PM EST
* David Ortiz batted cleanup last night
for the first time since May 13, 2005, going 0-for-3 with a strikeout.
Even after the hitless game he’s 18-for-58 (.310) with six homers this
month, as only Albert Pujols and Troy Tulowitzki have gone deep more
often in June.
* Demoted to the low minors three weeks ago, Fausto Carmona made his Single-A debut last night
and took a no-hitter into the seventh inning, finishing with 6.1 frames
of one-hit, shutout ball. He struck out seven and most importantly
handed out just one walk after issuing 41 free passes in 61 innings
with the Indians.
* Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News writes about
Matt Holliday’s struggles in Oakland, which while somewhat surprising
shouldn’t be coming as a shock to anyone. During five seasons with the
Rockies he hit .280 with an .803 OPS away from Coors Field. In three
months with the A’s he’s hit .269 with a .790 OPS.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)