Jun 28, 2009, 10:19 AM EDT
Late Saturday night, the Cardinals acquired Mark DeRosa from the
Indians in exchange for Chris Perez and a player to be named later.
Bandied about in trade rumors for the better part of the last two
months, DeRosa was batting .270/.342/.457 with 13 homers and 50 RBI in
his first season with the Tribe. Known for his versatility with the
glove, DeRosa will see most of his time at third base.
He figures to be a huge boost to a Cardinal team that has been looking
for a solution at the hot corner ever since Troy Glaus went down with a
right shoulder injury this spring. This season, Cardinals third baseman
have combined to hit just .227/.300/.367 with six homers and 26 RBI. If
Glaus somehow manages to return, DeRosa could easily slot in at second
base or the outfield.
DeRosa also adds a righty bat to a lineup that sorely needs one.
Sure, they have Pujols, but as a team, the Cardinals have a pathetic
.228 batting average against left-handers, third worst in the majors.
The team has only hit 17 homers against southpaws this season, but keep
in mind that nine of them have come off the bat of Pujols. Lastly, the
acquisition of DeRosa is a nice jab to the rival Cubs, who are
jockeying for position with the Cardinals in the competitive National
League Central. It’s a great trade for the Cards.
As for the Indians side of things, Perez, a former 2006 first-round
draft pick, will enter a bullpen that has been a disaster this season.
So far they have pitched to a 4.97 ERA, third worst in the majors,
while serving up 35 home runs. Only the Yankees have given up more.
Perez has a 3.78 ERA, 1.37 WHIP and 71/37 K/BB ratio in 64 1/3 career
innings in parts of two major league seasons. The 22-year-old
right-hander has a 4.18 ERA, .195 BAA, and 30 strikeouts in 23 2/3 in
2009. He projects as a future closer for the club. As for the player to
be named later, since DeRosa was so coveted on the trade market, the
Indians will probably get a legitimate prospect, as well. This trade
can’t possibly be judged from the Indians perspective until we find out
who that second player is.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy