Jun 28, 2009, 12:22 PM EDT
A few random and most likely irrational fun-facts about the now 37-36 New York Mets:
– Only the Giants (45) have hit less home runs than the Mets (46) this season.
– In the first year of a three-year, $36 million contract, the Mets are
paying Oliver Perez $12 million in 2009. So far that’s good enough for
one win. A pretty good win-to-highway-robbery ratio if you can get it.
- While David Wright has whiffed 73 times already this season (on
pace for 163), the Mets have struck out less (394) than any team in the
– Gary Sheffield, who wasn’t even under contract with the club until April 3, leads the team with just nine home runs.
– Brett Gardner has more hits (5) than the Mets (4) during the first two games of this weekend’s Subway Series.
– Bouyed by the strong play of Omir Santos, Mets catchers have driven in more runs (51) than any other team in the majors.
– And finally, according to Mets Today,
the team currently has approximately $67,675,000 worth of players on
the disabled list. This figure is roughly equal to that of the Twins
payroll, while higher than the Rays, Athletics, Nationals, Pirates,
Padres and Marlins.
You know, the other night, as I watched Fernando Nieve toss six
scoreless innings against the Cardinals and Nick Evans go 2-for-3 with
a home run, it was easy to feel pretty darn good about this pack of
scrappy nobodies. Unfortunately for Mets fans, nearly every underdog
story comes with an expiration date. And after being humbled through
the first two games of this weekend’s interleague series against the
Yankees, I’m afraid we’re left rooting for curdled milk.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 14
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)