Jun 28, 2009, 11:04 AM EST
“What did he say? That he was drunk
and got into a fight? I’m not going to comment on it. I’m trying to be
professional and I don’t really want to get into that. Don’t want to
make a story out of nothing.”
– J.C. Romero reacts to an accusation that he assaulted a fan after Thursday’s game.
“The fact I don’t think I can help
the team like I wanted to, every day on the field. It got to the point
it’s really painful. My contribution won’t be enough to help the team
win. Hopefully I can get it fixed and come back 100 percent. I talked
to my family, discussed it. I came to conclusion last night I was going
to do it, and came in early and told Skip.”
– Adrian Beltre explains his decision to have surgery
to remove bone spurs in his left shoulder. The surgery, which will
likely end his season, is scheduled for Tuesday. Beltre could have one
final appearance on Sunday.
“Terrible. But we got a win, who cares? The guys picked me up.”
– Homer Bailey talks about his wild performance
against the Indians on Saturday night. The former top prospect walked
seven while throwing just 54 of 106 pitches for strikes, but still got
his first win in nearly two years.
“It’s going to be hard for us to
score runs, no doubt about it, with where we are right now offensively.
We’ll need a break here or there or error or something like that to
amass any type of threat at this point.”
– A befuddled Jerry Manuel is left looking for answers after the Mets were one-hit by A.J. Burnett on Saturday night.
“There’s not much I can do. I just write the line-up … the rest is up to him. I ain’t giving him no bunt sign or nothing.”
– Inland Empire 66ers manager Carlos Subero reflects on the unique assignment
of including Manny Ramirez in his lineup. Ramirez homered in his first
at-bat on Saturday night. Currently serving a 50-game suspension, he is
scheduled to rejoin the Dodgers on July 3.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)