Jun 29, 2009, 11:46 AM EDT
* Assistant general manager Gord Ash revealed yesterday that the Brewers were in talks with the Indians for Mark DeRosa before he was traded to the rival Cardinals.
“They didn’t feel like we had the type of players they were looking
for,” Ash said. “The big thing will be who the second player is. I
would imagine it’s a pretty good player.”
* Seattle’s high Single-A team scored 18 runs last night … and lost by 15. Seriously. If you’re in need of a good laugh, check out the boxscore.
Every batter in Lake Elsinore’s lineup had multiple hits and six of the
nine guys had at least four hits in a game that featured 10 homers and
56 total hits.
* He’s allowed 15 run in 13 innings this season after going 9-14
with a 6.05 ERA last year, yet Brandon Backe was “shocked” by the
Astros designating him for assignment over the weekend.
* According to Shawn Estes, he’s not actually retired,
but rather “retired from Triple-A.” Which seems a bit like me saying,
“I’m not actually single, just unwilling to date non-supermodels.”
* Chris Jaffe of The Hardball Times notes that not all no-hitters are created equal.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 305
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (303)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)