Jun 29, 2009, 11:46 AM EST
* Assistant general manager Gord Ash revealed yesterday that the Brewers were in talks with the Indians for Mark DeRosa before he was traded to the rival Cardinals.
“They didn’t feel like we had the type of players they were looking
for,” Ash said. “The big thing will be who the second player is. I
would imagine it’s a pretty good player.”
* Seattle’s high Single-A team scored 18 runs last night … and lost by 15. Seriously. If you’re in need of a good laugh, check out the boxscore.
Every batter in Lake Elsinore’s lineup had multiple hits and six of the
nine guys had at least four hits in a game that featured 10 homers and
56 total hits.
* He’s allowed 15 run in 13 innings this season after going 9-14
with a 6.05 ERA last year, yet Brandon Backe was “shocked” by the
Astros designating him for assignment over the weekend.
* According to Shawn Estes, he’s not actually retired,
but rather “retired from Triple-A.” Which seems a bit like me saying,
“I’m not actually single, just unwilling to date non-supermodels.”
* Chris Jaffe of The Hardball Times notes that not all no-hitters are created equal.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 282
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (282)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)