Jun 29, 2009, 1:33 PM EDT
David Ortiz, on playing defense for interleague games in NL parks:
I just feel so embarrassed when I do something wrong out there.
You’ve got a guy pitching his ass off out there and you just feel bad.
Nothing happened, but you feel like, “What the hell am I doing?” The
tough one is when you have to throw to the pitcher, because pitchers,
you know, they’re really not good fielders.
My mentality when I’m out there is like, “I’m a Gold Glover.” I was
pretty good at defense until I got humongous. I got to the big leagues
and I gained like 30 pounds, and we had [Doug] Mientkiewicz over there,
and he was a Gold Glover. Then I got here and we had like 20 first
basemen. Next thing I know I was DH-ing, and that’s it. People always
make a big deal about first basemen, but most of ’em stink, anyway.
They just hit.
Ortiz always struck me as a reasonably capable first baseman during his
time in Minnesota–surprisingly nimble, good at scooping low
throws–but as he notes that was quite a few pounds ago. Ultimate Zone
Rating pegs him as 1.9 runs below average over 880 innings at first
base since arriving in Boston in 2003, which is certainly far from
disastrous (although his recent UZR numbers are dreadful).
As for the above quote, he’s spot-on about everything except for gaining 30 pounds. I’ll take the over on that.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (76)