Jun 30, 2009, 8:31 AM EDT
For a Braves fan, this is simply adding insult to the grievous injury that is having to watch Jeff Francoeur try to play every day:
Desperate times call for desperate measures, so Braves right fielder
Jeff Francoeur said he’ll wear the same underwear to Turner Field
Tuesday that he wore on Sunday. He claimed the Braves are 7-0 when he
wears his Thanksgiving-themed “turkey underwear” to the ballpark.
For a team that has a disappointing 35-40 overall record, that 7-0
mark is no small feat. The Braves open a three-game series against NL
East leader Philadelphia on Tuesday.
Francoeur said he had not worn the turkey briefs for back-to-back
games all season, but will Tuesday (the Braves were off Monday, and he
planned to ask his wife, Catie, to wash the underwear).
Note that the article doesn’t say that Francoeur plays
better in the gobbler skivvies, only that the team does. Given his
performance (.248/.283/.347), maybe the Braves would be better off by
simply keeping the underwear around and ditching Francoeur. At least
the underwear seems to ad some sort of value.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 32
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)