Jun 30, 2009, 8:31 AM EDT
For a Braves fan, this is simply adding insult to the grievous injury that is having to watch Jeff Francoeur try to play every day:
Desperate times call for desperate measures, so Braves right fielder
Jeff Francoeur said he’ll wear the same underwear to Turner Field
Tuesday that he wore on Sunday. He claimed the Braves are 7-0 when he
wears his Thanksgiving-themed “turkey underwear” to the ballpark.
For a team that has a disappointing 35-40 overall record, that 7-0
mark is no small feat. The Braves open a three-game series against NL
East leader Philadelphia on Tuesday.
Francoeur said he had not worn the turkey briefs for back-to-back
games all season, but will Tuesday (the Braves were off Monday, and he
planned to ask his wife, Catie, to wash the underwear).
Note that the article doesn’t say that Francoeur plays
better in the gobbler skivvies, only that the team does. Given his
performance (.248/.283/.347), maybe the Braves would be better off by
simply keeping the underwear around and ditching Francoeur. At least
the underwear seems to ad some sort of value.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)