Jun 30, 2009, 1:52 PM EST
* As expected, Adrian Beltre will undergo shoulder surgery today and MLB.com reports
that the best-case scenario has him returning in mid-August. Seattle
will miss Beltre’s outstanding glove and may choose to further weaken
their defense in the hopes of helping the league’s worst offense by
shifting Russell Branyan to third base while using prospect Mike Carp
at first base.
* Despite hitting just .250/.298/.303 with poor defense Emilio
Bonifacio still has people defending his play via cliches and
platitudes, as Juan C. Rodriguez of the Florida Sun-Sentinel writes stuff like
“he’s shown no signs of being a ‘me’ player.” My guess is that there
aren’t many 24-year-olds posting a .601 OPS in their first full season
who qualify as “me” players.
* Both the San Francisco Chronicle and Chicago Tribune report that the Giants are interested in Jermaine Dye, but as Dye himself notes the White Sox probably aren’t in sell mode right now after finally climbing back to .500 with yesterday’s win.
* In a recent Sports Illustrated poll Lou Piniella was named
the manager players would least like to play for. And the amazing thing
is that Milton Bradley wasn’t even eligible to vote for him.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)