Jun 30, 2009, 6:07 PM EDT
– The Red Sox have decided to place Mike Lowell on the disabled
list to give him additional time to recover after having his hip
drained and receiving an injection Monday.
Lowell’s play had fallen off over the last month, and it might be for
the best that he rests through the All-Star break. The move would seem
to guarantee that Kevin Youkilis will be eligible at third base in
fantasy leagues again next year. Mark Kotsay and Jeff Bailey will
platoon at first base for now. If Lowell is still having problems after
the break, then the Red Sox could go with Jed Lowrie at third.
– Marlins closer Matt Lindstrom, who went on the DL last week with a sprained elbow ligament, says he’s ahead of schedule and he hopes to begin playing catch on Friday.
Lindstrom was put on a schedule for good reason: partially torn
ligaments don’t miraculously heal. He was told not to throw for four
weeks when he went down on June 24. If he tries to rush back, it will
only become more likely that he’ll end up requiring surgery.
– Jack Wilson, perhaps no longer as interested in an extension as he was during the offseason, made it clear that he wasn’t happy about the Pirates trading Nyjer Morgan and Sean Burnett to the Nationals.
“The bottom line is, even if this trade does work out, it’s not
going to matter to 80 percent of the people in here,” Wilson said. “And
over the years, these trades haven’t worked. Show me the ones that have
Jason Christiansen to the Cardinals for Wilson is one that turned out OK.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (105)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)