Jun 30, 2009, 6:07 PM EDT
– The Red Sox have decided to place Mike Lowell on the disabled
list to give him additional time to recover after having his hip
drained and receiving an injection Monday.
Lowell’s play had fallen off over the last month, and it might be for
the best that he rests through the All-Star break. The move would seem
to guarantee that Kevin Youkilis will be eligible at third base in
fantasy leagues again next year. Mark Kotsay and Jeff Bailey will
platoon at first base for now. If Lowell is still having problems after
the break, then the Red Sox could go with Jed Lowrie at third.
– Marlins closer Matt Lindstrom, who went on the DL last week with a sprained elbow ligament, says he’s ahead of schedule and he hopes to begin playing catch on Friday.
Lindstrom was put on a schedule for good reason: partially torn
ligaments don’t miraculously heal. He was told not to throw for four
weeks when he went down on June 24. If he tries to rush back, it will
only become more likely that he’ll end up requiring surgery.
– Jack Wilson, perhaps no longer as interested in an extension as he was during the offseason, made it clear that he wasn’t happy about the Pirates trading Nyjer Morgan and Sean Burnett to the Nationals.
“The bottom line is, even if this trade does work out, it’s not
going to matter to 80 percent of the people in here,” Wilson said. “And
over the years, these trades haven’t worked. Show me the ones that have
Jason Christiansen to the Cardinals for Wilson is one that turned out OK.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)