Jun 30, 2009, 11:58 AM EDT
In a minor move designed to add some depth, the Yankees have acquired Eric Hinske from the Pirates for prospects Eric Fryer and Casey Erickson.
Signed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract this offseason, Hinske
played sparingly for the Pirates and hit .255/.373/.368 while starting
just 23 of 76 games. He’s unlikely to see any more action for the
Yankees, but as a veteran left-handed bat with some power who can play
any of the corner positions Hinske is a nice bench option.
He can fill in for Alex Rodriguez or Mark Teixeira if needed, and
provides some outfield insurance behind Nick Swisher and Johnny Damon
with Xavier Nady reportedly headed for season-ending elbow surgery.
Hinske has always struggled against left-handed pitching, but is a
career .264/.347/.456 hitter versus right-handers and has averaged 20
homers per 550 at-bats.
Hinske came up with the Blue Jays, winning Rookie of the Year honors
in 2002, and later played for both the Red Sox and Rays, so he’s now
four-fifths of the way through completing the full AL East tour. He’s
your destiny, Orioles fans!
Both prospects heading the Pirates’ way are marginal. Erickson was a
10th-round pick in 2005 who turns 24 years old soon and has yet to
advance past Single-A, although he’s put up some solid numbers against
low-level competition. Fryer was hitting just .250/.333/.344 in 59
games as a 23-year-old at high Single-A after coming to the Yankees in
a February swap for Chase Wright.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 76
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (189)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)