Jul 1, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
Grady Sizemore plans to play through elbow pain for as long as possible, but once the season ends he’s likely headed for surgery.
As trainer Lonnie Soloff put it: “He’ll have symptoms for the balance
of the season. Our hope is that we can keep him away from symptoms that
affect his performance or put him at a risk for injury.”
* Jon Weisman of the Los Angeles Times has some details on why the Moneyball movie was shelved. The basic point seems to be that director Steven Soderbergh became more interested in making the Moneyball
part than the movie part, and the studio didn’t share his obsession
because they’re interested in actually making a film that people might
pay to see.
* Fausto Carmona’s climb back to the majors continues to go well, as he tossed seven innings of one-run ball yesterday at Double-A.
* Raul Ibanez is expected to begin a minor-league rehab assignment tonight in the hopes of coming off the disabled list next week.
* Mariano Rivera started a game yesterday for the first time since 1995. Well, sort of.
* Colby Rasmus has been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia
and according to the Cardinals rookie doctors are blaming it on “heavy
late-night eating.” If that’s true, I’m in serious trouble.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 8
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)