Jul 1, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
Grady Sizemore plans to play through elbow pain for as long as possible, but once the season ends he’s likely headed for surgery.
As trainer Lonnie Soloff put it: “He’ll have symptoms for the balance
of the season. Our hope is that we can keep him away from symptoms that
affect his performance or put him at a risk for injury.”
* Jon Weisman of the Los Angeles Times has some details on why the Moneyball movie was shelved. The basic point seems to be that director Steven Soderbergh became more interested in making the Moneyball
part than the movie part, and the studio didn’t share his obsession
because they’re interested in actually making a film that people might
pay to see.
* Fausto Carmona’s climb back to the majors continues to go well, as he tossed seven innings of one-run ball yesterday at Double-A.
* Raul Ibanez is expected to begin a minor-league rehab assignment tonight in the hopes of coming off the disabled list next week.
* Mariano Rivera started a game yesterday for the first time since 1995. Well, sort of.
* Colby Rasmus has been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia
and according to the Cardinals rookie doctors are blaming it on “heavy
late-night eating.” If that’s true, I’m in serious trouble.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 44
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)