Jul 1, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
Grady Sizemore plans to play through elbow pain for as long as possible, but once the season ends he’s likely headed for surgery.
As trainer Lonnie Soloff put it: “He’ll have symptoms for the balance
of the season. Our hope is that we can keep him away from symptoms that
affect his performance or put him at a risk for injury.”
* Jon Weisman of the Los Angeles Times has some details on why the Moneyball movie was shelved. The basic point seems to be that director Steven Soderbergh became more interested in making the Moneyball
part than the movie part, and the studio didn’t share his obsession
because they’re interested in actually making a film that people might
pay to see.
* Fausto Carmona’s climb back to the majors continues to go well, as he tossed seven innings of one-run ball yesterday at Double-A.
* Raul Ibanez is expected to begin a minor-league rehab assignment tonight in the hopes of coming off the disabled list next week.
* Mariano Rivera started a game yesterday for the first time since 1995. Well, sort of.
* Colby Rasmus has been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia
and according to the Cardinals rookie doctors are blaming it on “heavy
late-night eating.” If that’s true, I’m in serious trouble.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)