Jul 1, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
Grady Sizemore plans to play through elbow pain for as long as possible, but once the season ends he’s likely headed for surgery.
As trainer Lonnie Soloff put it: “He’ll have symptoms for the balance
of the season. Our hope is that we can keep him away from symptoms that
affect his performance or put him at a risk for injury.”
* Jon Weisman of the Los Angeles Times has some details on why the Moneyball movie was shelved. The basic point seems to be that director Steven Soderbergh became more interested in making the Moneyball
part than the movie part, and the studio didn’t share his obsession
because they’re interested in actually making a film that people might
pay to see.
* Fausto Carmona’s climb back to the majors continues to go well, as he tossed seven innings of one-run ball yesterday at Double-A.
* Raul Ibanez is expected to begin a minor-league rehab assignment tonight in the hopes of coming off the disabled list next week.
* Mariano Rivera started a game yesterday for the first time since 1995. Well, sort of.
* Colby Rasmus has been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia
and according to the Cardinals rookie doctors are blaming it on “heavy
late-night eating.” If that’s true, I’m in serious trouble.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)