Jul 1, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
Grady Sizemore plans to play through elbow pain for as long as possible, but once the season ends he’s likely headed for surgery.
As trainer Lonnie Soloff put it: “He’ll have symptoms for the balance
of the season. Our hope is that we can keep him away from symptoms that
affect his performance or put him at a risk for injury.”
* Jon Weisman of the Los Angeles Times has some details on why the Moneyball movie was shelved. The basic point seems to be that director Steven Soderbergh became more interested in making the Moneyball
part than the movie part, and the studio didn’t share his obsession
because they’re interested in actually making a film that people might
pay to see.
* Fausto Carmona’s climb back to the majors continues to go well, as he tossed seven innings of one-run ball yesterday at Double-A.
* Raul Ibanez is expected to begin a minor-league rehab assignment tonight in the hopes of coming off the disabled list next week.
* Mariano Rivera started a game yesterday for the first time since 1995. Well, sort of.
* Colby Rasmus has been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia
and according to the Cardinals rookie doctors are blaming it on “heavy
late-night eating.” If that’s true, I’m in serious trouble.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 0
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 18
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 42
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 12
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)