Jul 1, 2009, 5:23 PM EDT
– MLB announced Wednesday that it has expanded All-Star rosters to add 13th pitcher.
Because who could reasonably be expected to get by with 12?
From now on each All-Star team will have 33 players, including 13
pitchers. Obviously, the decision is a response to what happened last
year, when George Sherrill was asked to throw 2 1/3 innings out of the
pen in the 15-inning game. Of course, that only happened long after Roy
Halladay threw nine pitches in one inning and Francisco Rodriguez
worked one-third of an inning.
– Orioles right-hander Koji Uehara was diagnosed with a partially torn flexor tendon in his elbow and is expected to miss two months.
The good news is that no ligament damage was found. Even if Uehara
ends up needing surgery, he should be able to return at 100 percent
Questions about how Uehara, who had spent time as a closer in Japan,
would hold up as a full-time starter in the U.S. forced him to settle
for a two-year, $10 million contract from the Orioles. I still think it
was a great gamble for Baltimore. He has been pretty solid while
healthy, amassing a 4.05 ERA in 12 starts.
The injury could mean that we’ll see top prospect Chris Tillman in
the majors before the end of the month. David Hernandez is filling in
at the moment.
– After making it clear
Tuesday that David Wright would have Wednesday off, manager Jerry
Manuel put his All-Star third baseman into the lineup against the
Wright still seemed to think he had the day off, as he went 0-for-4
with three strikeouts and committed his 12th error of the year.
Fortunately for Manuel, the Mets won 1-0 anyway. It doesn’t make Manuel
any easier to take seriously.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)