Jul 1, 2009, 5:23 PM EST
– MLB announced Wednesday that it has expanded All-Star rosters to add 13th pitcher.
Because who could reasonably be expected to get by with 12?
From now on each All-Star team will have 33 players, including 13
pitchers. Obviously, the decision is a response to what happened last
year, when George Sherrill was asked to throw 2 1/3 innings out of the
pen in the 15-inning game. Of course, that only happened long after Roy
Halladay threw nine pitches in one inning and Francisco Rodriguez
worked one-third of an inning.
– Orioles right-hander Koji Uehara was diagnosed with a partially torn flexor tendon in his elbow and is expected to miss two months.
The good news is that no ligament damage was found. Even if Uehara
ends up needing surgery, he should be able to return at 100 percent
Questions about how Uehara, who had spent time as a closer in Japan,
would hold up as a full-time starter in the U.S. forced him to settle
for a two-year, $10 million contract from the Orioles. I still think it
was a great gamble for Baltimore. He has been pretty solid while
healthy, amassing a 4.05 ERA in 12 starts.
The injury could mean that we’ll see top prospect Chris Tillman in
the majors before the end of the month. David Hernandez is filling in
at the moment.
– After making it clear
Tuesday that David Wright would have Wednesday off, manager Jerry
Manuel put his All-Star third baseman into the lineup against the
Wright still seemed to think he had the day off, as he went 0-for-4
with three strikeouts and committed his 12th error of the year.
Fortunately for Manuel, the Mets won 1-0 anyway. It doesn’t make Manuel
any easier to take seriously.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)