Jul 1, 2009, 5:23 PM EDT
– MLB announced Wednesday that it has expanded All-Star rosters to add 13th pitcher.
Because who could reasonably be expected to get by with 12?
From now on each All-Star team will have 33 players, including 13
pitchers. Obviously, the decision is a response to what happened last
year, when George Sherrill was asked to throw 2 1/3 innings out of the
pen in the 15-inning game. Of course, that only happened long after Roy
Halladay threw nine pitches in one inning and Francisco Rodriguez
worked one-third of an inning.
– Orioles right-hander Koji Uehara was diagnosed with a partially torn flexor tendon in his elbow and is expected to miss two months.
The good news is that no ligament damage was found. Even if Uehara
ends up needing surgery, he should be able to return at 100 percent
Questions about how Uehara, who had spent time as a closer in Japan,
would hold up as a full-time starter in the U.S. forced him to settle
for a two-year, $10 million contract from the Orioles. I still think it
was a great gamble for Baltimore. He has been pretty solid while
healthy, amassing a 4.05 ERA in 12 starts.
The injury could mean that we’ll see top prospect Chris Tillman in
the majors before the end of the month. David Hernandez is filling in
at the moment.
– After making it clear
Tuesday that David Wright would have Wednesday off, manager Jerry
Manuel put his All-Star third baseman into the lineup against the
Wright still seemed to think he had the day off, as he went 0-for-4
with three strikeouts and committed his 12th error of the year.
Fortunately for Manuel, the Mets won 1-0 anyway. It doesn’t make Manuel
any easier to take seriously.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)