Jul 2, 2009, 12:52 PM EST
* Despite all the Cubs’ problems, yesterday’s ejection
was amazingly Lou Piniella’s first of the season. In fact, it was his
first time being tossed since July of last year. Milton Bradley would
probably disagree, but perhaps Sweet Lou is mellowing in his mid-60s?
* With his DUI manslaughter trial still two months away, Jim Leyritz was arrested this morning and charged with domestic battery against his ex-wife.
* Perhaps realizing that he’s a career .270/.312/.377 hitter making $7.25 million, Jack Wilson backtracked from his criticism of Pirates management following the team’s latest trade.
* Canadian-born Jason Bay was sworn in as an American citizen this morning.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 85
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)