Jul 3, 2009, 5:27 PM EDT
– According to ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark, teams interested in free agent Ben Sheets have learned that he won’t be ready to pitch this year after surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon.
When Sheets had the procedure in Feburary, the hope was that he’d be
ready to pitch in August. However, he obviously isn’t progressing as
hoped, which explains why he hasn’t been involved in any rumors
recently. There’s still good reason to believe he’ll be back at full
strength in 2010.
– The Reds have activated Edwin Encarnacion from the DL following a two-month absence due to a fracture in his left wrist.
Danny Richar traded places with him, going on the DL with a shoulder
injury. Encarnacion was brutal before getting hurt, hitting
.127/.286/.190, but it was just 63 at-bats and no one has stepped up in
his absence. As a result, it’s practically guaranteed that he’ll get
his job back.
– The Braves have scheduled Tim Hudson’s first rehab appearance from Tommy John surgery for July 19.
If all goes well, he’ll make five or six rehab starts and then rejoin
Atlanta’s rotation during the second half of August. The Braves already
have a very solid rotation that includes Derek Lowe, Javier Vazquez,
Jair Jurrjens, Kenshin Kawakami and Tommy Hanson, opening up the
possibility that Hudson could return as a reliever. However, a lot can
happen in a month and a half.
A really intriguing idea would be to shop Vazquez for a big-time
outfielder at the deadline, but I don’t see any obvious fits. A
three-way deal that would bring Matt Holliday from Oakland and send
prospects to the A’s would be ideal.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)