Jul 3, 2009, 5:27 PM EST
- According to ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark, teams interested in free agent Ben Sheets have learned that he won’t be ready to pitch this year after surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon.
When Sheets had the procedure in Feburary, the hope was that he’d be
ready to pitch in August. However, he obviously isn’t progressing as
hoped, which explains why he hasn’t been involved in any rumors
recently. There’s still good reason to believe he’ll be back at full
strength in 2010.
- The Reds have activated Edwin Encarnacion from the DL following a two-month absence due to a fracture in his left wrist.
Danny Richar traded places with him, going on the DL with a shoulder
injury. Encarnacion was brutal before getting hurt, hitting
.127/.286/.190, but it was just 63 at-bats and no one has stepped up in
his absence. As a result, it’s practically guaranteed that he’ll get
his job back.
- The Braves have scheduled Tim Hudson’s first rehab appearance from Tommy John surgery for July 19.
If all goes well, he’ll make five or six rehab starts and then rejoin
Atlanta’s rotation during the second half of August. The Braves already
have a very solid rotation that includes Derek Lowe, Javier Vazquez,
Jair Jurrjens, Kenshin Kawakami and Tommy Hanson, opening up the
possibility that Hudson could return as a reliever. However, a lot can
happen in a month and a half.
A really intriguing idea would be to shop Vazquez for a big-time
outfielder at the deadline, but I don’t see any obvious fits. A
three-way deal that would bring Matt Holliday from Oakland and send
prospects to the A’s would be ideal.
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal 94
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (85)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)