Jul 3, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
* Included among the many international signings yesterday was the Mets inking Ugueth Urbina’s son,
16-year-old left-hander Juan Urbina. The elder Urbina was a two-time
All-Star who ranks 30th on the all-time list with 237 career saves, and
is now serving a 14-year prison term after being convicted of attempting to murder two people with a machete in a 2005 dispute over a stolen gun.
* After a brief quarrel yesterday, Rany Jazayerli and the Royals are back on speaking terms. Sort of. My guess is that if Joe Posnanski didn’t have such a large, devoted following the Royals would probably try to blackball him
too. After all, it’s easier than actually improving the team. Kansas
City has finished above .500 exactly one time since 1995, winning 83
games in 2003, so it’s tough to blame their fans for speaking out.
* Magglio Ordonez hasn’t been very good at playing baseball lately, but he’s great at raising money for charity.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 1
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 10
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 1
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)