Jul 3, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
* Included among the many international signings yesterday was the Mets inking Ugueth Urbina’s son,
16-year-old left-hander Juan Urbina. The elder Urbina was a two-time
All-Star who ranks 30th on the all-time list with 237 career saves, and
is now serving a 14-year prison term after being convicted of attempting to murder two people with a machete in a 2005 dispute over a stolen gun.
* After a brief quarrel yesterday, Rany Jazayerli and the Royals are back on speaking terms. Sort of. My guess is that if Joe Posnanski didn’t have such a large, devoted following the Royals would probably try to blackball him
too. After all, it’s easier than actually improving the team. Kansas
City has finished above .500 exactly one time since 1995, winning 83
games in 2003, so it’s tough to blame their fans for speaking out.
* Magglio Ordonez hasn’t been very good at playing baseball lately, but he’s great at raising money for charity.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 68
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 46
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)