Jul 3, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
* Included among the many international signings yesterday was the Mets inking Ugueth Urbina’s son,
16-year-old left-hander Juan Urbina. The elder Urbina was a two-time
All-Star who ranks 30th on the all-time list with 237 career saves, and
is now serving a 14-year prison term after being convicted of attempting to murder two people with a machete in a 2005 dispute over a stolen gun.
* After a brief quarrel yesterday, Rany Jazayerli and the Royals are back on speaking terms. Sort of. My guess is that if Joe Posnanski didn’t have such a large, devoted following the Royals would probably try to blackball him
too. After all, it’s easier than actually improving the team. Kansas
City has finished above .500 exactly one time since 1995, winning 83
games in 2003, so it’s tough to blame their fans for speaking out.
* Magglio Ordonez hasn’t been very good at playing baseball lately, but he’s great at raising money for charity.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)