Jul 4, 2009, 1:00 PM EST
“I need a couple more games under my belt. It’s going to take time.”
- Manny Ramirez, a little rusty after serving a 50-game suspension. He was 0-for-3 with a walk in his return to the lineup on Friday against the Padres.
“He broke Stan Musial’s career record? I’ll go bow to his feet here in a second. That’s a serious point to make.”
- Tony LaRussa upon learning that Albert Pujols broke the club record for grand slams. El Hombre crushed his 10th grand slam as a Cardinal — and fourth of 2009 — to spoil a brilliant outing by Homer Bailey.
”My high school coach in Korea died, and I was sad the whole day. This game was for him.”
- Shin-Soo Choo dedicates a career-night to his former coach.
Choo homered twice and drove in seven runs in Friday night’s rout over
the Athletics. He is batting .301 with 12 homers and 53 RBI this
“It’s fair to say that, if you’re
looking at reinforcements right now, we are hoping and counting on some
of our DL guys being reinforcements. It’s also fair to say that we’re
going to go out there and try to look around and see if we can do
something that can fit. Of course, you’re kind of caught in-between.”
- Omar Minaya hopes that some internal options can step up and provide relief. The short-handed Mets were embarrased by the Rodrigo Lopez and the Phillies 7-2 on Friday night.
“This has been unbelievable. I’ve
kind of defied the law of averages – batted balls in play sometimes
find holes, but they haven’t in these two games.”
- Ryan Sadowski reacts to his shutout performance
against the Astros on Friday night. The 26-year-old rookie now has 13
shutout innings to start his career — the first Giants rookie to do
that since Mark Remlinger tossed 15 scoreless innings in 1991.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 42
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)