Jul 4, 2009, 1:00 PM EDT
“I need a couple more games under my belt. It’s going to take time.”
– Manny Ramirez, a little rusty after serving a 50-game suspension. He was 0-for-3 with a walk in his return to the lineup on Friday against the Padres.
“He broke Stan Musial’s career record? I’ll go bow to his feet here in a second. That’s a serious point to make.”
– Tony LaRussa upon learning that Albert Pujols broke the club record for grand slams. El Hombre crushed his 10th grand slam as a Cardinal — and fourth of 2009 — to spoil a brilliant outing by Homer Bailey.
”My high school coach in Korea died, and I was sad the whole day. This game was for him.”
– Shin-Soo Choo dedicates a career-night to his former coach.
Choo homered twice and drove in seven runs in Friday night’s rout over
the Athletics. He is batting .301 with 12 homers and 53 RBI this
“It’s fair to say that, if you’re
looking at reinforcements right now, we are hoping and counting on some
of our DL guys being reinforcements. It’s also fair to say that we’re
going to go out there and try to look around and see if we can do
something that can fit. Of course, you’re kind of caught in-between.”
– Omar Minaya hopes that some internal options can step up and provide relief. The short-handed Mets were embarrased by the Rodrigo Lopez and the Phillies 7-2 on Friday night.
“This has been unbelievable. I’ve
kind of defied the law of averages – batted balls in play sometimes
find holes, but they haven’t in these two games.”
– Ryan Sadowski reacts to his shutout performance
against the Astros on Friday night. The 26-year-old rookie now has 13
shutout innings to start his career — the first Giants rookie to do
that since Mark Remlinger tossed 15 scoreless innings in 1991.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)