Jul 4, 2009, 1:00 PM EDT
“I need a couple more games under my belt. It’s going to take time.”
– Manny Ramirez, a little rusty after serving a 50-game suspension. He was 0-for-3 with a walk in his return to the lineup on Friday against the Padres.
“He broke Stan Musial’s career record? I’ll go bow to his feet here in a second. That’s a serious point to make.”
– Tony LaRussa upon learning that Albert Pujols broke the club record for grand slams. El Hombre crushed his 10th grand slam as a Cardinal — and fourth of 2009 — to spoil a brilliant outing by Homer Bailey.
”My high school coach in Korea died, and I was sad the whole day. This game was for him.”
– Shin-Soo Choo dedicates a career-night to his former coach.
Choo homered twice and drove in seven runs in Friday night’s rout over
the Athletics. He is batting .301 with 12 homers and 53 RBI this
“It’s fair to say that, if you’re
looking at reinforcements right now, we are hoping and counting on some
of our DL guys being reinforcements. It’s also fair to say that we’re
going to go out there and try to look around and see if we can do
something that can fit. Of course, you’re kind of caught in-between.”
– Omar Minaya hopes that some internal options can step up and provide relief. The short-handed Mets were embarrased by the Rodrigo Lopez and the Phillies 7-2 on Friday night.
“This has been unbelievable. I’ve
kind of defied the law of averages – batted balls in play sometimes
find holes, but they haven’t in these two games.”
– Ryan Sadowski reacts to his shutout performance
against the Astros on Friday night. The 26-year-old rookie now has 13
shutout innings to start his career — the first Giants rookie to do
that since Mark Remlinger tossed 15 scoreless innings in 1991.
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 5
- What Bryan Price’s rant was really all about 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 32
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)