Jul 4, 2009, 6:32 PM EST
– Chien-Ming Wang left Saturday’s start against the Blue Jays due to a sprained right shoulder.
While his line didn’t show it, Wang was in the midst of his best start
of the season, inducing 10 groundballs and throwing 45 of 66 pitches
for strikes. He is scheduled for an MRI later today.
Update: Wang is headed for the disabled list.
– Adam Dunn launched the 300th home run of his career in a comeback win over the Braves on Saturday afternoon. The slugger has 22 homers in 275 at-bats this season.
– The Rangers have promoted 22-year-old prospect Justin Smoak to Triple-A Oklahoma City. The 2008 first-round pick was batting .328 with six homers and 28 RBI with Double-A Frisco. With Chris Davis continuing to struggle, Smoak could be on the fast track to the majors.
– Oliver Perez will replace Tim Redding
in the Mets rotation. The erratic lefty threw just 46 of his 92 pitches
for strikes in a Friday rehab start with Triple-A Buffalo, but the Mets
hope he can deliver better results than the 6.99 ERA that Redding has
– Manny Ramirez homered in his first at-bat
on Saturday against the Padres — in his second game back from serving
a 50-game suspension. Speaking of performance-enhancing drugs, Rafael
Palmeiro continues to deny knowingly taking them. Meanwhile, Roger Clemens’ lawyer Rusty Hardin revealed that the pitcher is not among the 104 players who tested positive for PEDs in 2003.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)