Jul 4, 2009, 6:32 PM EDT
– Chien-Ming Wang left Saturday’s start against the Blue Jays due to a sprained right shoulder.
While his line didn’t show it, Wang was in the midst of his best start
of the season, inducing 10 groundballs and throwing 45 of 66 pitches
for strikes. He is scheduled for an MRI later today.
Update: Wang is headed for the disabled list.
– Adam Dunn launched the 300th home run of his career in a comeback win over the Braves on Saturday afternoon. The slugger has 22 homers in 275 at-bats this season.
– The Rangers have promoted 22-year-old prospect Justin Smoak to Triple-A Oklahoma City. The 2008 first-round pick was batting .328 with six homers and 28 RBI with Double-A Frisco. With Chris Davis continuing to struggle, Smoak could be on the fast track to the majors.
– Oliver Perez will replace Tim Redding
in the Mets rotation. The erratic lefty threw just 46 of his 92 pitches
for strikes in a Friday rehab start with Triple-A Buffalo, but the Mets
hope he can deliver better results than the 6.99 ERA that Redding has
– Manny Ramirez homered in his first at-bat
on Saturday against the Padres — in his second game back from serving
a 50-game suspension. Speaking of performance-enhancing drugs, Rafael
Palmeiro continues to deny knowingly taking them. Meanwhile, Roger Clemens’ lawyer Rusty Hardin revealed that the pitcher is not among the 104 players who tested positive for PEDs in 2003.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)