Jul 5, 2009, 6:43 PM EST
- The Phillies completed a three-game sweep of the Mets on Sunday
as Joe Blanton outdueled Johan Santana with seven shutout innings. The
stumbling Mets are now four games back of the first-place Phils.
- After being snubbed for an All-Star selection, Mark Reynolds connected for his 24th home run against the Rockies. While he didn’t make the squad, he is one of the choices on the “Final Vote” ballot.
- Ricky Nolasco continued his resurgence,
fanning 12 while tossing eight shutout innings against the Pirates on
Sunday. Nolasco has lowered his ERA from 9.07 to 5.42 in six starts
since returning from the minor leagues on June 7.
- Hanley Ramirez sat out Sunday’s game due to a tight right hip flexor. However, he was named as the National League’s starting shortstop.
- The Yankees managed to defeat the Blue Jays 10-8 on Sunday despite the worst outing of Joba Chamberlain’s career.
- After having surgery on his right rotator cuff last month, Coco Crisp has a similar procedure planned for his left shoulder later this month. He hopes to be ready for Opening Day next season.
- Rehabbing a groin injury, Raul Ibanez is scheduled to play for Double-A Reading on Monday. Ibanez was chosen as a first-time All-Star by the fans on Sunday.
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 9
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 44
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)