Jul 5, 2009, 6:43 PM EDT
– The Phillies completed a three-game sweep of the Mets on Sunday
as Joe Blanton outdueled Johan Santana with seven shutout innings. The
stumbling Mets are now four games back of the first-place Phils.
– After being snubbed for an All-Star selection, Mark Reynolds connected for his 24th home run against the Rockies. While he didn’t make the squad, he is one of the choices on the “Final Vote” ballot.
– Ricky Nolasco continued his resurgence,
fanning 12 while tossing eight shutout innings against the Pirates on
Sunday. Nolasco has lowered his ERA from 9.07 to 5.42 in six starts
since returning from the minor leagues on June 7.
– Hanley Ramirez sat out Sunday’s game due to a tight right hip flexor. However, he was named as the National League’s starting shortstop.
– The Yankees managed to defeat the Blue Jays 10-8 on Sunday despite the worst outing of Joba Chamberlain’s career.
– After having surgery on his right rotator cuff last month, Coco Crisp has a similar procedure planned for his left shoulder later this month. He hopes to be ready for Opening Day next season.
– Rehabbing a groin injury, Raul Ibanez is scheduled to play for Double-A Reading on Monday. Ibanez was chosen as a first-time All-Star by the fans on Sunday.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)