Jul 8, 2009, 3:15 PM EST
* When last we checked in with Matt Bush the former No. 1 overall pick was pleading guilty to assault charges on draft day, which seemed fitting for one of the biggest busts in draft history. In the month since then Bush has been arrested again, this time being charged with a DUI, resisting arrest, driving on a suspended license, and vandalism.
The beauty of the situation is that last month Bush’s lawyer said:
“He fully intends to get his act together and do whatever is required
of him by the court. They could tell him to attend alcohol rehab on the
moon, and he’d agree to it.” Apparently that rehab center on the moon
was all booked up or something.
* Minnesota was blown out
by New York last night, leaving manager Ron Gardenhire with a 14-38
(.269) career record against the Yankees compared to 651-515 (.558)
versus everyone else. Oh, and he’s also 2-6 against New York in the
* Last week I wrote about
how baffling it was that “Matt Kemp has been one of the league’s best
players, yet has batted higher than sixth in the Dodgers’ lineup just
10 times.” This week R.J. Anderson of Fans Graphs has taken up the same cause, but with even more stats.
* Vladimir Guerrero played the outfield last night for just the second time this season and lasted all of eight innings before leaving with a knee injury.
* Alan Embree picked up a victory last night without actually throwing a pitch.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)