Jul 8, 2009, 4:22 PM EST
– Oliver Perez makes his much-anticipated return to the rotation versus
the Dodgers. Of course, most of the anticipation comes from National
League hitters, rather than Mets fans. Perez had a 9.97 ERA in five
starts before the Mets shelved him for nine weeks with a knee injury.
The left-hander had a 3.12 ERA in four rehab starts, but his one
particularly strong effort came in the short-season New York-Penn
League. Overall, he allowed 17 hits and walked 11 in 17 1/3 innings.
The Dodgers will throw Hiroki Kuroda.
- Both failed last time out, but Zack Greinke and Tim Wakefield will
again have chances to become the AL’s first 11-game winners tonight.
Wakefield has the advantage of facing an A’s team that’s 12th in the AL
in runs, 13th in OBP and dead last in slugging. Greinke, though, has
already manhandled his opponent, Detroit, twice this season, throwing a
pair of compete games that resulted in identical 6-1 victories. He’s
10-4 with a 2.69 ERA lifetime against the Tigers.
Game of the Night
Texas vs. L.A. Angels – The Rangers and Angels entered the
three-game series with identical records, and nothing has been decided
through two games, as the Rangers were able to bounce back from a 9-4
defeat to win 8-5 on Tuesday. Tonight’s matchup is made more
interesting in that both starters are dealing with questions about
their arms at the moment. Vicente Padilla will work on eight days’ rest
after complaining of shoulder soreness. He lost to the Angels after
giving up five runs and two homers over five innings on June 29. Ervin
Santana and his still iffy elbow ligament will face the Rangers for the
first time this season. He lost Friday in his return from the DL,
leaving him 1-4 with a 7.43 ERA in seven starts for the season. The
Angels will probably be without the services of Vladimir Guerrero after
he suffered a strained leg muscle last night.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 178
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (183)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)