Jul 9, 2009, 10:08 AM EDT
The Rangers are excited about the possibility of Roy Halladay coming to Texas:
Blue Jays right-handed ace Roy Halladay was the No. 1 topic of
discussion in the Rangers clubhouse before Wednesday’s game with the
Angels . . . “I’d love to have him here,” outfielder Marlon Byrd said.
“I don’t know what price it would take to get him, but I’d love to have
him.” “You always want people who you feel could help the ballclub,”
outfielder Josh Hamilton added. “It’s not my decision to make, so I
don’t know. But I want whatever would help this ballclub win games and
get to the postseason. I’ll leave that decision up to the front
office.” “We’re going to look to improve the club every way we can,”
[GM Jon] Daniels said. “I’ll leave it at that.”
As I said the other day,
I don’t see Texas, given their owners’ financial difficulties, being
able to pay the $22M+ Halladay is owed this year and next, and that’s
even if Halladay were willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to the
ballpark where pitching goes to die. As for Philly and St. Louis, I
still don’t think they have the chips, and I still question whether
Halladay will even be traded. Everyone is keying so much on J.P.
Ricciardi’s comments about shopping him a couple of days ago, but not
too many people noticed when he said this yesterday:
Riccardi isn’t optimistic a trade will happen.
“My gut feeling is no, we won’t, because there aren’t too many teams
out there who are willing to give us the significant package of
prospects we would need to make this go,” Riccardi told the Globe.
“Teams protect their prospects.”
Posturing? Maybe. But I still kind of doubt it, and while everyone goes
crazy trying to figure out where Halladay is going, I’m going to stand
by my original statement: He ain’t goin’ anywhere.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 61
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)