Jul 10, 2009, 11:28 AM EDT
* Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times speculates
that the Mariners are close to trading Yuniesky Betancourt after he was
scratched from a minor-league rehab game Thursday despite claiming to
* Sony has hired Aaron Sorkin to rewrite the Moneyball movie script in the hopes of salvaging the project after Steven Soderbergh walked away. According to the New York Times,
if Sorkin can make the rewrites quickly Sony is hoping to find a new
director and the shoot the film “in the fall of this year” with Brad
Pitt still in the Billy Beane role.
* Last night David Ortiz became the 124th member of the 300-homer club, joining 18 other active players. Ortiz is batting .300 with 10 homers in his last 29 games after hitting just .188 with one homer through 49 games.
* Derek Jeter talked up the homefield advantage of the Metrodome and opined that “it’s going to be tough” for the Twins in their new ballpark next season … after the Yankees completed a three-game sweep in Minnesota. Jeter and the Yankees are now 46-16 against the Twins since 2002.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)