Jul 10, 2009, 11:28 AM EDT
* Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times speculates
that the Mariners are close to trading Yuniesky Betancourt after he was
scratched from a minor-league rehab game Thursday despite claiming to
* Sony has hired Aaron Sorkin to rewrite the Moneyball movie script in the hopes of salvaging the project after Steven Soderbergh walked away. According to the New York Times,
if Sorkin can make the rewrites quickly Sony is hoping to find a new
director and the shoot the film “in the fall of this year” with Brad
Pitt still in the Billy Beane role.
* Last night David Ortiz became the 124th member of the 300-homer club, joining 18 other active players. Ortiz is batting .300 with 10 homers in his last 29 games after hitting just .188 with one homer through 49 games.
* Derek Jeter talked up the homefield advantage of the Metrodome and opined that “it’s going to be tough” for the Twins in their new ballpark next season … after the Yankees completed a three-game sweep in Minnesota. Jeter and the Yankees are now 46-16 against the Twins since 2002.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 30
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 85
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)