Jul 11, 2009, 11:58 AM EST
Couple thoughts on the Jeff Francoeur for Ryan Church trade:
- One reason why this trade might seem a bit jarring (or as jarring
as a swap of mediocre outfielders could be) is that these two clubs
almost never do business. Since the divisions were realigned in 1995,
they have made one trade: Paul Byrd for Greg McMichael after the 1996 season. Other than that, since the Braves have been relevant, there was the Dave Gallagher/Pete Smith blockbuster in 1993 and Alejandro Pena for Tony Castillo in 1991.
how we’re reading about the Mets loving and needing Francoeur’s superb
defense and cannon arm in the spacious right field at Citi, even though
Church provided awesome defense and close to a cannon arm in the
spacious right field at Citi. This season, Church has a UZR of 2.8,
Francoeur with a 0.6 (although it was a 17.1 two years ago).
fans probably won’t have this problem because Church won’t really be
identified as a Met, but it’ll be tough trying to warm up to a guy most
Mets fans despised passionately for the past four years. Unless, you
know, he starts hitting bombs. Then we’ll be okay.
- I am not confident in this happening.
you have a team that is fundamentally unsound and has trouble scoring
runs, and you have a chance to add a guy who once said “If on-base
percentage is so important, why don’t they put it up on the
scoreboard?”, you gotta make that deal.
- And we’re also told by Rotoworld’s Matt Stroup that on-base percentage numbers do appear on Turner Field’s scoreboard.
- In his last game for Atlanta, Francoeur hit three doubles. Is that considered “selling high”?
- But cheer up, Mets fans. This quote from Omar Minaya ease any apprehension you have: “One thing we like about Francoeur is the amount of games that he plays.” So there’s that.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld