Jul 11, 2009, 11:58 AM EDT
Couple thoughts on the Jeff Francoeur for Ryan Church trade:
- One reason why this trade might seem a bit jarring (or as jarring
as a swap of mediocre outfielders could be) is that these two clubs
almost never do business. Since the divisions were realigned in 1995,
they have made one trade: Paul Byrd for Greg McMichael after the 1996 season. Other than that, since the Braves have been relevant, there was the Dave Gallagher/Pete Smith blockbuster in 1993 and Alejandro Pena for Tony Castillo in 1991.
how we’re reading about the Mets loving and needing Francoeur’s superb
defense and cannon arm in the spacious right field at Citi, even though
Church provided awesome defense and close to a cannon arm in the
spacious right field at Citi. This season, Church has a UZR of 2.8,
Francoeur with a 0.6 (although it was a 17.1 two years ago).
fans probably won’t have this problem because Church won’t really be
identified as a Met, but it’ll be tough trying to warm up to a guy most
Mets fans despised passionately for the past four years. Unless, you
know, he starts hitting bombs. Then we’ll be okay.
- I am not confident in this happening.
you have a team that is fundamentally unsound and has trouble scoring
runs, and you have a chance to add a guy who once said “If on-base
percentage is so important, why don’t they put it up on the
scoreboard?”, you gotta make that deal.
- And we’re also told by Rotoworld’s Matt Stroup that on-base percentage numbers do appear on Turner Field’s scoreboard.
- In his last game for Atlanta, Francoeur hit three doubles. Is that considered “selling high”?
- But cheer up, Mets fans. This quote from Omar Minaya ease any apprehension you have: “One thing we like about Francoeur is the amount of games that he plays.” So there’s that.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 0
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 9
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld