Jul 11, 2009, 11:58 AM EDT
Couple thoughts on the Jeff Francoeur for Ryan Church trade:
- One reason why this trade might seem a bit jarring (or as jarring
as a swap of mediocre outfielders could be) is that these two clubs
almost never do business. Since the divisions were realigned in 1995,
they have made one trade: Paul Byrd for Greg McMichael after the 1996 season. Other than that, since the Braves have been relevant, there was the Dave Gallagher/Pete Smith blockbuster in 1993 and Alejandro Pena for Tony Castillo in 1991.
how we’re reading about the Mets loving and needing Francoeur’s superb
defense and cannon arm in the spacious right field at Citi, even though
Church provided awesome defense and close to a cannon arm in the
spacious right field at Citi. This season, Church has a UZR of 2.8,
Francoeur with a 0.6 (although it was a 17.1 two years ago).
fans probably won’t have this problem because Church won’t really be
identified as a Met, but it’ll be tough trying to warm up to a guy most
Mets fans despised passionately for the past four years. Unless, you
know, he starts hitting bombs. Then we’ll be okay.
- I am not confident in this happening.
you have a team that is fundamentally unsound and has trouble scoring
runs, and you have a chance to add a guy who once said “If on-base
percentage is so important, why don’t they put it up on the
scoreboard?”, you gotta make that deal.
- And we’re also told by Rotoworld’s Matt Stroup that on-base percentage numbers do appear on Turner Field’s scoreboard.
- In his last game for Atlanta, Francoeur hit three doubles. Is that considered “selling high”?
- But cheer up, Mets fans. This quote from Omar Minaya ease any apprehension you have: “One thing we like about Francoeur is the amount of games that he plays.” So there’s that.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 22
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 39
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld