Jul 11, 2009, 11:58 AM EDT
Couple thoughts on the Jeff Francoeur for Ryan Church trade:
- One reason why this trade might seem a bit jarring (or as jarring
as a swap of mediocre outfielders could be) is that these two clubs
almost never do business. Since the divisions were realigned in 1995,
they have made one trade: Paul Byrd for Greg McMichael after the 1996 season. Other than that, since the Braves have been relevant, there was the Dave Gallagher/Pete Smith blockbuster in 1993 and Alejandro Pena for Tony Castillo in 1991.
how we’re reading about the Mets loving and needing Francoeur’s superb
defense and cannon arm in the spacious right field at Citi, even though
Church provided awesome defense and close to a cannon arm in the
spacious right field at Citi. This season, Church has a UZR of 2.8,
Francoeur with a 0.6 (although it was a 17.1 two years ago).
fans probably won’t have this problem because Church won’t really be
identified as a Met, but it’ll be tough trying to warm up to a guy most
Mets fans despised passionately for the past four years. Unless, you
know, he starts hitting bombs. Then we’ll be okay.
- I am not confident in this happening.
you have a team that is fundamentally unsound and has trouble scoring
runs, and you have a chance to add a guy who once said “If on-base
percentage is so important, why don’t they put it up on the
scoreboard?”, you gotta make that deal.
- And we’re also told by Rotoworld’s Matt Stroup that on-base percentage numbers do appear on Turner Field’s scoreboard.
- In his last game for Atlanta, Francoeur hit three doubles. Is that considered “selling high”?
- But cheer up, Mets fans. This quote from Omar Minaya ease any apprehension you have: “One thing we like about Francoeur is the amount of games that he plays.” So there’s that.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 12
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (104)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld