Jul 11, 2009, 11:58 AM EST
Couple thoughts on the Jeff Francoeur for Ryan Church trade:
- One reason why this trade might seem a bit jarring (or as jarring
as a swap of mediocre outfielders could be) is that these two clubs
almost never do business. Since the divisions were realigned in 1995,
they have made one trade: Paul Byrd for Greg McMichael after the 1996 season. Other than that, since the Braves have been relevant, there was the Dave Gallagher/Pete Smith blockbuster in 1993 and Alejandro Pena for Tony Castillo in 1991.
how we’re reading about the Mets loving and needing Francoeur’s superb
defense and cannon arm in the spacious right field at Citi, even though
Church provided awesome defense and close to a cannon arm in the
spacious right field at Citi. This season, Church has a UZR of 2.8,
Francoeur with a 0.6 (although it was a 17.1 two years ago).
fans probably won’t have this problem because Church won’t really be
identified as a Met, but it’ll be tough trying to warm up to a guy most
Mets fans despised passionately for the past four years. Unless, you
know, he starts hitting bombs. Then we’ll be okay.
- I am not confident in this happening.
you have a team that is fundamentally unsound and has trouble scoring
runs, and you have a chance to add a guy who once said “If on-base
percentage is so important, why don’t they put it up on the
scoreboard?”, you gotta make that deal.
- And we’re also told by Rotoworld’s Matt Stroup that on-base percentage numbers do appear on Turner Field’s scoreboard.
- In his last game for Atlanta, Francoeur hit three doubles. Is that considered “selling high”?
- But cheer up, Mets fans. This quote from Omar Minaya ease any apprehension you have: “One thing we like about Francoeur is the amount of games that he plays.” So there’s that.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 329
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (329)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld