Jul 11, 2009, 2:18 PM EDT
“I didn’t think I was going to be out there very long.”
– Jonathan Sanchez, returning from the bullpen to make his first start since June 22.
“After the first few innings, he had
unbelievable stuff. That’s what he’s capable of. And he was able to put
it together tonight.”
– Eli Whiteside, an unlikely choice to be Friday’s backstop. Bengie Molina left the team to be with his wife Jamie, who went into labor.
“I was going to go up and over and land on the other side if I had to. I’m just glad the ball landed in my glove.”
– Aaron Rowand, who saved the no-hitter with a fantastic catch up against the center field wall in the ninth inning.
“Nothing changes. Guys are doing the
same thing … sitting in the same place. They’re all superstitious.
Everybody was pulling for him.”
– Bruce Bochy describes the mood in the dugout leading up to the improbable no-no.
“I’m very proud. I was expecting him to get tired. He didn’t.”
– Sigfredo Sanchez, who actually saw his son start a game in the major leagues for the first time in person on Friday night.
“(Freaking) awesome. And if you guys
can print it, print it. He showed a lot about his character. He was on
the wayside, but he came out tonight and just shut up everybody.”
– Tim Lincecum finally has something else to aspire to.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 3
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)