Jul 11, 2009, 2:18 PM EDT
“I didn’t think I was going to be out there very long.”
– Jonathan Sanchez, returning from the bullpen to make his first start since June 22.
“After the first few innings, he had
unbelievable stuff. That’s what he’s capable of. And he was able to put
it together tonight.”
– Eli Whiteside, an unlikely choice to be Friday’s backstop. Bengie Molina left the team to be with his wife Jamie, who went into labor.
“I was going to go up and over and land on the other side if I had to. I’m just glad the ball landed in my glove.”
– Aaron Rowand, who saved the no-hitter with a fantastic catch up against the center field wall in the ninth inning.
“Nothing changes. Guys are doing the
same thing … sitting in the same place. They’re all superstitious.
Everybody was pulling for him.”
– Bruce Bochy describes the mood in the dugout leading up to the improbable no-no.
“I’m very proud. I was expecting him to get tired. He didn’t.”
– Sigfredo Sanchez, who actually saw his son start a game in the major leagues for the first time in person on Friday night.
“(Freaking) awesome. And if you guys
can print it, print it. He showed a lot about his character. He was on
the wayside, but he came out tonight and just shut up everybody.”
– Tim Lincecum finally has something else to aspire to.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)