Jul 11, 2009, 2:18 PM EDT
“I didn’t think I was going to be out there very long.”
– Jonathan Sanchez, returning from the bullpen to make his first start since June 22.
“After the first few innings, he had
unbelievable stuff. That’s what he’s capable of. And he was able to put
it together tonight.”
– Eli Whiteside, an unlikely choice to be Friday’s backstop. Bengie Molina left the team to be with his wife Jamie, who went into labor.
“I was going to go up and over and land on the other side if I had to. I’m just glad the ball landed in my glove.”
– Aaron Rowand, who saved the no-hitter with a fantastic catch up against the center field wall in the ninth inning.
“Nothing changes. Guys are doing the
same thing … sitting in the same place. They’re all superstitious.
Everybody was pulling for him.”
– Bruce Bochy describes the mood in the dugout leading up to the improbable no-no.
“I’m very proud. I was expecting him to get tired. He didn’t.”
– Sigfredo Sanchez, who actually saw his son start a game in the major leagues for the first time in person on Friday night.
“(Freaking) awesome. And if you guys
can print it, print it. He showed a lot about his character. He was on
the wayside, but he came out tonight and just shut up everybody.”
– Tim Lincecum finally has something else to aspire to.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)