Jul 12, 2009, 7:45 PM EDT
With the Cardinals and Cubs about to bring the first half of the season to a close, here’s some things to consider…
On the bump
– Adam Wainwright (9-5, 3.09) toes the rubber for the Cardinals. He
tossed 8 1/3 shutout innings in his last start against the Brewers on
Tuesday. Wainwright has allowed two runs or less in four out of his
last five starts, lowering his ERA from 3.49 to 3.09 in the process. He
has pitched six or more innings in 16 straight starts dating back to
– Randy Wells (4-3, 2.48) starts the nightcap for the Cubs. Wells
allowed two runs over six innings in a 4-2 win over the Braves in his
last start on Monday. He has won four consecutive starts, allowing two
runs or less in each of them. This is his first career start against
Back in the lineup
– Derrek Lee is back in the lineup after leaving Saturday’s game
with neck spasms. After a .189 April, the 34-year-old first baseman has
rebounded, compiling a .281/.356/.514 line with 17 homers and 56 RBI.
Rookie of the Year?
– After struggling through April and May, Colby Rasmus has asserted
himself as the prohibitive favorite in the National League Rookie of
the Year race. He currently leads all rookies in hits, runs, doubles,
homers and RBI.
– Ted Lilly (9-6, 3.18) is the lone Cubs All-Star while Albert
Pujols (.338, 32 HR, 85 RBI) Yadier Molina (.280, 5 HR, 30 RBI) and
Ryan Franklin (0.82 ERA, 20 saves)will represent the hometown Cardinals.
On the mend
– The Cubs will be without catcher Geovany Soto for about a month. He
was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a mild left oblique strain
on Saturday. Hampered by a shoulder issue in the early going, the 2008
National League Rookie of the Year got off to a slow start, but
regained some pop with six homers in 74 June at-bats. Koyie Hill will
fill in for now.
– Aramis Ramirez is 10-for-25 (.400) with a homer, four doubles and four RBI against Wainwright in his career.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 5
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 53
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)