Jul 12, 2009, 10:34 AM EDT
– Jay Bruce fractured his right wrist
attempting to make a sliding catch in the first inning of Saturday’s
game against the Mets. He is scheduled to return to Cincinnati for an
MRI on Sunday. The 22-year-old outfielder is batting just .207 this
season, but he does have 18 homers and 41 RBI. Chris Dickerson figures
to get most of the playing time in his absence, however the Reds will
likely call up former-first round pick Drew Stubbs to take his place on
the roster. Stubbs is batting .279/.374/.371 with two homers, 25 RBI
and 33 stolen bases for Triple-A Louisville. And with 358 at-bats under
his belt at the Triple-A level, he’s more ready than the hot-hitting
– Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times
thinks the Dodgers should go full-tilt after Roy Halladay. He
recommends including native Canadian Russell Martin in the deal, as
well as prospects Devaris Gordon (son of Tom Gordon) and Josh Lindblom.
While the proposed trade seems far-fetched, know that the Dodgers sent two scouts
to see Halladay pitch on Thursday night in Tampa Bay. The Blue Jays
would probably want one of either Chad Billingsley or Clayton Kershaw
in a possible deal.
– Jonathon Broxton, still bothered by a sore big toe on his right foot, will skip the All-Star game.
In his first full-season as closer, Broxton has compiled a 3.10 ERA,
0.93 WHIP and .149 BAA. He is 20-for-22 in save opportunities. As for a
replacement, Mark Bowman of MLB.com thinks it should be Rafael Soriano.
– John Smoltz notched his first win since last April 17 as
the Red Sox topped the Royals 15-9 on Saturday night. The 42-year-old
allowed just one run on four hits over five innings, striking out seven
and walking one. David Ortiz had his 1000th hit as a member of the Red
Sox — a fourth-inning two-run home run. Note that 10 of Ortiz’s 12
homers have come at Fenway Park.
– Matt Cain left Saturday’s start against the Padres after getting hit in the elbow by a line drive in the second inning. X-Rays showed a contusion, but no break. At 10-2 with a 2.38 ERA, Cain earned his first All-Star nod, but he is now doubtful for the game.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 22
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)