Jul 12, 2009, 2:31 PM EDT
– Troy C. Renck of the Denver Post
says that second baseman Freddy Sanchez will be traded. He believes the
Giants could land him for Jonathan Sanchez and a prospect. Renck also
reports that the Giants are “lukewarm” on Matt Holliday and would love
to land Jermaine Dye.
– With the wrist injury to Jay Bruce, manager Dusty Baker doesn’t want to rush Drew Stubbs or Chris Heisey,
as speculated late Saturday night. Bruce’s absence only underscores the
Reds’ need for an outfield bat. So far, their outfielders have combined
for a major league worst .235 batting average and .302 on-base
– According to the Toronto Sun, Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi
hasn’t fielded any calls for Vernon Wells. Wells signed a seven-year,
$126 million contract extension in December of 2006.
– Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest would like to improve the club
before the July 31 trade deadline. While he hopes that veterans Brendan
Donnelly and Luis Ayala can help fill the void left by Matt Lindstrom,
the team remains in the market for a closer.
– Ozzie Guillen doesn’t want to trade some of the organization’s best young prospects for a rental player.
– Nick Carfaldo of the Boston Globe cites a Mets official as saying the team could add $5 million to $6 million in payroll before the trade deadline.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)