Jul 12, 2009, 2:31 PM EDT
– Troy C. Renck of the Denver Post
says that second baseman Freddy Sanchez will be traded. He believes the
Giants could land him for Jonathan Sanchez and a prospect. Renck also
reports that the Giants are “lukewarm” on Matt Holliday and would love
to land Jermaine Dye.
– With the wrist injury to Jay Bruce, manager Dusty Baker doesn’t want to rush Drew Stubbs or Chris Heisey,
as speculated late Saturday night. Bruce’s absence only underscores the
Reds’ need for an outfield bat. So far, their outfielders have combined
for a major league worst .235 batting average and .302 on-base
– According to the Toronto Sun, Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi
hasn’t fielded any calls for Vernon Wells. Wells signed a seven-year,
$126 million contract extension in December of 2006.
– Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest would like to improve the club
before the July 31 trade deadline. While he hopes that veterans Brendan
Donnelly and Luis Ayala can help fill the void left by Matt Lindstrom,
the team remains in the market for a closer.
– Ozzie Guillen doesn’t want to trade some of the organization’s best young prospects for a rental player.
– Nick Carfaldo of the Boston Globe cites a Mets official as saying the team could add $5 million to $6 million in payroll before the trade deadline.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 23
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 24
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)