Jul 12, 2009, 2:31 PM EDT
– Troy C. Renck of the Denver Post
says that second baseman Freddy Sanchez will be traded. He believes the
Giants could land him for Jonathan Sanchez and a prospect. Renck also
reports that the Giants are “lukewarm” on Matt Holliday and would love
to land Jermaine Dye.
– With the wrist injury to Jay Bruce, manager Dusty Baker doesn’t want to rush Drew Stubbs or Chris Heisey,
as speculated late Saturday night. Bruce’s absence only underscores the
Reds’ need for an outfield bat. So far, their outfielders have combined
for a major league worst .235 batting average and .302 on-base
– According to the Toronto Sun, Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi
hasn’t fielded any calls for Vernon Wells. Wells signed a seven-year,
$126 million contract extension in December of 2006.
– Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest would like to improve the club
before the July 31 trade deadline. While he hopes that veterans Brendan
Donnelly and Luis Ayala can help fill the void left by Matt Lindstrom,
the team remains in the market for a closer.
– Ozzie Guillen doesn’t want to trade some of the organization’s best young prospects for a rental player.
– Nick Carfaldo of the Boston Globe cites a Mets official as saying the team could add $5 million to $6 million in payroll before the trade deadline.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 7
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 15
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)