Jul 12, 2009, 2:31 PM EDT
- Troy C. Renck of the Denver Post
says that second baseman Freddy Sanchez will be traded. He believes the
Giants could land him for Jonathan Sanchez and a prospect. Renck also
reports that the Giants are “lukewarm” on Matt Holliday and would love
to land Jermaine Dye.
- With the wrist injury to Jay Bruce, manager Dusty Baker doesn’t want to rush Drew Stubbs or Chris Heisey,
as speculated late Saturday night. Bruce’s absence only underscores the
Reds’ need for an outfield bat. So far, their outfielders have combined
for a major league worst .235 batting average and .302 on-base
- According to the Toronto Sun, Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi
hasn’t fielded any calls for Vernon Wells. Wells signed a seven-year,
$126 million contract extension in December of 2006.
- Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest would like to improve the club
before the July 31 trade deadline. While he hopes that veterans Brendan
Donnelly and Luis Ayala can help fill the void left by Matt Lindstrom,
the team remains in the market for a closer.
- Ozzie Guillen doesn’t want to trade some of the organization’s best young prospects for a rental player.
- Nick Carfaldo of the Boston Globe cites a Mets official as saying the team could add $5 million to $6 million in payroll before the trade deadline.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)