Jul 14, 2009, 1:53 PM EDT
Evan Longoria has been scratched from tonight’s All-Star game because of an infected right ring finger that had to be drained and treated with antibiotics yesterday.
Michael Young will start at third base and bat seventh for the American
League while Chone Figgins gets added to the roster as a last-minute
This is Figgins’ first All-Star selection, while Young is a six-time
All-Star who’ll be making his first career start at the age of 32.
Oh, and the total number of players involved in the two-team game is now something like 150.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)