Jul 14, 2009, 12:34 PM EDT
* Carlos Quentin switched from left field to designated hitter at Single-A last night after rain postponed the game by an hour,
but ripped an RBI double and lined out to center field in two at-bats
before exiting in the sixth inning. Quentin is now 8-for-23 (.348) with
two doubles, four walks, and just one strikeout through eight games
rehabbing his foot injury and is scheduled to play left field tonight
if the weather permits.
* Geovany Soto is receiving treatment on his injured oblique at the Cubs’ spring training complex in Arizona and said yesterday
that “hopefully we’re looking at something like 15 to 20 days” until
his return. For now the Cubs are going with Koyie Hill and Jake Fox as
Soto’s replacements, but Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune speculates that general manager Jim Hendry is working the phones for a veteran fill-in like Gregg Zaun.
* Carlos Guillen began his minor-league rehab assignment
last night, going 0-for-3 with a strikeout at Single-A. Guillen hit
just .200/.267/.244 before landing on the disabled list in early May
with a shoulder injury and the Tigers have cycled through five
different left fielders in his absence.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)