Jul 15, 2009, 11:45 AM EDT
* Billy Wagner, on his chances of coming back
from Tommy John elbow surgery to have a prominent role in the Mets’
bullpen this season: “I can’t see it. I think that would be foolhardy
to even insinuate something like that. I think what I would be is a
Brian Stokes-type player. I might pitch once a week.” That must make
Brian Stokes feel good.
* Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Cubs are expected to pursue B.J. Ryan once he clears waivers to make his release from the Blue Jays official.
* After rumors started swirling
that the Nationals might be interested in hiring former Braves and
Orioles pitching coach Leo Mazzone, team president Stan Kasten said:
“There is not a scintilla of truth to this story.”
* Eric Milton’s comeback is over after just five starts, as the 33-year-old southpaw underwent back surgery yesterday and is expected to be sidelined for at least three months.
* Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts transcribed a 1982 interview
between Larry King and Red Barber in which Barber tells the story of
how Vin Scully was hired by the Dodgers. And if that description isn’t
enough for you to click the link, then we probably can’t be friends.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)