Jul 15, 2009, 11:45 AM EDT
* Billy Wagner, on his chances of coming back
from Tommy John elbow surgery to have a prominent role in the Mets’
bullpen this season: “I can’t see it. I think that would be foolhardy
to even insinuate something like that. I think what I would be is a
Brian Stokes-type player. I might pitch once a week.” That must make
Brian Stokes feel good.
* Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Cubs are expected to pursue B.J. Ryan once he clears waivers to make his release from the Blue Jays official.
* After rumors started swirling
that the Nationals might be interested in hiring former Braves and
Orioles pitching coach Leo Mazzone, team president Stan Kasten said:
“There is not a scintilla of truth to this story.”
* Eric Milton’s comeback is over after just five starts, as the 33-year-old southpaw underwent back surgery yesterday and is expected to be sidelined for at least three months.
* Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts transcribed a 1982 interview
between Larry King and Red Barber in which Barber tells the story of
how Vin Scully was hired by the Dodgers. And if that description isn’t
enough for you to click the link, then we probably can’t be friends.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)