Jul 15, 2009, 11:45 AM EST
* Billy Wagner, on his chances of coming back
from Tommy John elbow surgery to have a prominent role in the Mets’
bullpen this season: “I can’t see it. I think that would be foolhardy
to even insinuate something like that. I think what I would be is a
Brian Stokes-type player. I might pitch once a week.” That must make
Brian Stokes feel good.
* Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Cubs are expected to pursue B.J. Ryan once he clears waivers to make his release from the Blue Jays official.
* After rumors started swirling
that the Nationals might be interested in hiring former Braves and
Orioles pitching coach Leo Mazzone, team president Stan Kasten said:
“There is not a scintilla of truth to this story.”
* Eric Milton’s comeback is over after just five starts, as the 33-year-old southpaw underwent back surgery yesterday and is expected to be sidelined for at least three months.
* Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts transcribed a 1982 interview
between Larry King and Red Barber in which Barber tells the story of
how Vin Scully was hired by the Dodgers. And if that description isn’t
enough for you to click the link, then we probably can’t be friends.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 45
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 97
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 125
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)