Jul 16, 2009, 4:30 PM EDT
The day has been approaching for some time, and FOXSports’ Ken Rosenthal is now claiming that the Red Sox are trying “desperately” to move Julio Lugo, who is in the third year of a four-year, $36 million contract.
Boston’s reasoning is obvious: Jed Lowrie is ready to return from wrist
surgery, and Nick Green has outperformed Julio Lugo defensively all
season long. Offensively, Green versus Lugo has been close to a wash,
but Lugo hasn’t nearly regained his range of motion following knee
surgery. Also, Lugo hasn’t played a position besides shortstop since
2006, so while his versatility used to be a plus, it’d be tough to
start treating him as a utilityman.
Lugo probably isn’t completely washed up offensively. He certainly
never fulfilled expectations with the bat in Boston, but he has hit
.284/.352/.367 in 109 at-bats this season. Also, for what it’s worth,
he’s traditionally played significantly better in the second half, with
the one big exception being when he was traded from the Rays to the
Dodgers in July 2006.
The problem is that Lugo just isn’t capable of helping a team as a
shortstop with the way he’s moving now. Maybe he’d be OK at second base
if he can readjust to the position, but a midseason move might be tough
to pull off. Lugo didn’t like it when the Dodgers had him switch
positions in 2006, and it really showed in his performance, as he was a
complete bust for the team.
The Red Sox will probably just end up eating the final year and a
half of Lugo’s deal. The Cubs and Mets were interested last time Lugo
was a free agent and both have openings now and the Giants could use an
alternative at second base, but it’s doubtful that anyone will rush to
relieve the Red Sox of even $2 million-$3 million of the approximately
$13 million he’s still owed when he’ll most likely be available for
less than $200,000 in a couple of weeks.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)