Jul 16, 2009, 2:00 PM EST
As if leading the league in RBIs and making his third All-Star team wasn’t enough, Jason Bay is good at blogging too. He wrote about his All-Star experience for WEEI.com, including this amusing moment with Ichiro Suzuki:
Workout day. I run back in from the field to get sunglasses. Locker
room completely empty except Ichiro stretching on the floor and his
translator sitting on the chair beside him. So we make small talk, and
I ask him where he lives in Seattle because I lived in the suburbs.
Well, I had barely got the last word out when Ichiro says something
in Japanese. Then his translator turns to me, deadpanned and
straight-faced and says, “I’m going to mess with your house.” The way
he said it was malicious, and Ichiro is on the floor dying laughing
like it was the funniest thing ever. I was just like, “OK, I’ll see you
guys out there.” I didn’t know what to say. It was weird.
I’m convinced that Ichiro is the most awkwardly entertaining person in baseball, because just about everyone who meets him seems to have a similar story.
If most of his public interactions weren’t conducted through an
interpreter, he’d be thought of as either a comedic genius or insane.
Bay also wrote about playing the game while snipers were perched
atop the ballpark in St. Louis, meeting the president one week after
becoming an American citizen, volunteering to sing “Oh Canada” with
fellow Canuck Justin Morneau, and why “there’s no Moneyballing” in an
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)