Jul 16, 2009, 2:00 PM EDT
As if leading the league in RBIs and making his third All-Star team wasn’t enough, Jason Bay is good at blogging too. He wrote about his All-Star experience for WEEI.com, including this amusing moment with Ichiro Suzuki:
Workout day. I run back in from the field to get sunglasses. Locker
room completely empty except Ichiro stretching on the floor and his
translator sitting on the chair beside him. So we make small talk, and
I ask him where he lives in Seattle because I lived in the suburbs.
Well, I had barely got the last word out when Ichiro says something
in Japanese. Then his translator turns to me, deadpanned and
straight-faced and says, “I’m going to mess with your house.” The way
he said it was malicious, and Ichiro is on the floor dying laughing
like it was the funniest thing ever. I was just like, “OK, I’ll see you
guys out there.” I didn’t know what to say. It was weird.
I’m convinced that Ichiro is the most awkwardly entertaining person in baseball, because just about everyone who meets him seems to have a similar story.
If most of his public interactions weren’t conducted through an
interpreter, he’d be thought of as either a comedic genius or insane.
Bay also wrote about playing the game while snipers were perched
atop the ballpark in St. Louis, meeting the president one week after
becoming an American citizen, volunteering to sing “Oh Canada” with
fellow Canuck Justin Morneau, and why “there’s no Moneyballing” in an
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)