Jul 16, 2009, 2:00 PM EDT
As if leading the league in RBIs and making his third All-Star team wasn’t enough, Jason Bay is good at blogging too. He wrote about his All-Star experience for WEEI.com, including this amusing moment with Ichiro Suzuki:
Workout day. I run back in from the field to get sunglasses. Locker
room completely empty except Ichiro stretching on the floor and his
translator sitting on the chair beside him. So we make small talk, and
I ask him where he lives in Seattle because I lived in the suburbs.
Well, I had barely got the last word out when Ichiro says something
in Japanese. Then his translator turns to me, deadpanned and
straight-faced and says, “I’m going to mess with your house.” The way
he said it was malicious, and Ichiro is on the floor dying laughing
like it was the funniest thing ever. I was just like, “OK, I’ll see you
guys out there.” I didn’t know what to say. It was weird.
I’m convinced that Ichiro is the most awkwardly entertaining person in baseball, because just about everyone who meets him seems to have a similar story.
If most of his public interactions weren’t conducted through an
interpreter, he’d be thought of as either a comedic genius or insane.
Bay also wrote about playing the game while snipers were perched
atop the ballpark in St. Louis, meeting the president one week after
becoming an American citizen, volunteering to sing “Oh Canada” with
fellow Canuck Justin Morneau, and why “there’s no Moneyballing” in an
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)