Jul 16, 2009, 2:00 PM EDT
As if leading the league in RBIs and making his third All-Star team wasn’t enough, Jason Bay is good at blogging too. He wrote about his All-Star experience for WEEI.com, including this amusing moment with Ichiro Suzuki:
Workout day. I run back in from the field to get sunglasses. Locker
room completely empty except Ichiro stretching on the floor and his
translator sitting on the chair beside him. So we make small talk, and
I ask him where he lives in Seattle because I lived in the suburbs.
Well, I had barely got the last word out when Ichiro says something
in Japanese. Then his translator turns to me, deadpanned and
straight-faced and says, “I’m going to mess with your house.” The way
he said it was malicious, and Ichiro is on the floor dying laughing
like it was the funniest thing ever. I was just like, “OK, I’ll see you
guys out there.” I didn’t know what to say. It was weird.
I’m convinced that Ichiro is the most awkwardly entertaining person in baseball, because just about everyone who meets him seems to have a similar story.
If most of his public interactions weren’t conducted through an
interpreter, he’d be thought of as either a comedic genius or insane.
Bay also wrote about playing the game while snipers were perched
atop the ballpark in St. Louis, meeting the president one week after
becoming an American citizen, volunteering to sing “Oh Canada” with
fellow Canuck Justin Morneau, and why “there’s no Moneyballing” in an
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)