Jul 16, 2009, 3:01 PM EDT
Padres general manager Kevin Towers, on Jake Peavy’s chances of returning from an ankle injury to pitch in the second half:
I think it’s 50-50 if Jake will pitch again this season. We’ll know
more when he comes out of the cast. I can’t speak for Jake, but I’d
much rather have him ready for 2010 than risking more serious injury by
coming back too early this year.
Peavy’s injury wiped away whatever chance the Padres had of finding a
palatable trade for him this season, but once he gets healthy the
rumors figure to start up again this winter. In the meantime Towers
indicated that he won’t look to deal Adrian Gonzalez or Heath Bell, but
could field offers for guys like Chad Gaudin, Cla Meredith, and Kevin
Correia before they become eligible for arbitration in 2010.
Towers was also asked what role Brian Giles would fill if he returns
from a knee injury and responded: “I don’t see Giles taking playing
time away from” young outfielders Chase Headley, Tony Gwynn Jr., Will
Venable, and Kyle Blanks. “The focus is with youth now,” Towers said.
“I’m kind of excited about our prospects.”
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17