Jul 17, 2009, 11:57 AM EDT
* Yunel Escobar has been linked to Oakland and various other teams in trade rumors recently, but Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that Atlanta “hasn’t made a single attempt to even explore the possibility of moving Escobar.”
* Speaking of the Braves, they’re retiring Greg Maddux’s number tonight.
Maddux had a 2.63 ERA during 11 seasons in Atlanta, going 194-88 for an
incredible .688 winning percentage while capturing both the ERA title
and Cy Young award in three straight years. He also posted a 2.80 ERA
in 27 postseason starts.
* Good news for the Cubs:
Ryan Dempster is hoping to return from his broken foot within two weeks
and Geovany Soto is recovering so well from his oblique injury that the
team is no longer pursuing catching help.
* A lesson for all aspiring major-league relievers: Growing an awesome mustache will make you successful.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 41
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 23
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 34
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 78
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 7
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 87
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)