Jul 17, 2009, 11:57 AM EST
* Yunel Escobar has been linked to Oakland and various other teams in trade rumors recently, but Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that Atlanta “hasn’t made a single attempt to even explore the possibility of moving Escobar.”
* Speaking of the Braves, they’re retiring Greg Maddux’s number tonight.
Maddux had a 2.63 ERA during 11 seasons in Atlanta, going 194-88 for an
incredible .688 winning percentage while capturing both the ERA title
and Cy Young award in three straight years. He also posted a 2.80 ERA
in 27 postseason starts.
* Good news for the Cubs:
Ryan Dempster is hoping to return from his broken foot within two weeks
and Geovany Soto is recovering so well from his oblique injury that the
team is no longer pursuing catching help.
* A lesson for all aspiring major-league relievers: Growing an awesome mustache will make you successful.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 10
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 73
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)