Jul 17, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
This is the third article about Greg Maddux’s number being retired I’ve seen which focuses on this:
The bows and hosannas were expected to go much smoother than this.
Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and John Smoltz, the centerpiece players of
the Atlanta Braves’ run of 14 division championships, would be honored,
one by one, by being inducted into the Braves’ Hall of Fame and having
their numbers retired.
Maddux goes first Friday, but Glavine and Smoltz, casualties of the business of baseball, will not be on hand.
The article — and similar artiles in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and USA Today
— make much of Glavine’s absence and talk about the acrimony
surrounding his release from the club, trying, it seems, to turn this
into a story about Glavine snubbing the Braves. Which makes no sense
given the fact that all of the articles mention that Glavine is going
to be at his son’s baseball tournament, and which Glavine really
doesn’t want to miss after missing such events for 20 years. And that
Glavine recorded a video message to play at the ceremony. And that he
says the circumstances of his departure from the team have nothing to
do with it.
There’ no there there, folks. Move along.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 7
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)