Jul 17, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
This is the third article about Greg Maddux’s number being retired I’ve seen which focuses on this:
The bows and hosannas were expected to go much smoother than this.
Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and John Smoltz, the centerpiece players of
the Atlanta Braves’ run of 14 division championships, would be honored,
one by one, by being inducted into the Braves’ Hall of Fame and having
their numbers retired.
Maddux goes first Friday, but Glavine and Smoltz, casualties of the business of baseball, will not be on hand.
The article — and similar artiles in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and USA Today
— make much of Glavine’s absence and talk about the acrimony
surrounding his release from the club, trying, it seems, to turn this
into a story about Glavine snubbing the Braves. Which makes no sense
given the fact that all of the articles mention that Glavine is going
to be at his son’s baseball tournament, and which Glavine really
doesn’t want to miss after missing such events for 20 years. And that
Glavine recorded a video message to play at the ceremony. And that he
says the circumstances of his departure from the team have nothing to
do with it.
There’ no there there, folks. Move along.
- Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 10
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 11
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)