Jul 17, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
This is the third article about Greg Maddux’s number being retired I’ve seen which focuses on this:
The bows and hosannas were expected to go much smoother than this.
Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and John Smoltz, the centerpiece players of
the Atlanta Braves’ run of 14 division championships, would be honored,
one by one, by being inducted into the Braves’ Hall of Fame and having
their numbers retired.
Maddux goes first Friday, but Glavine and Smoltz, casualties of the business of baseball, will not be on hand.
The article — and similar artiles in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and USA Today
— make much of Glavine’s absence and talk about the acrimony
surrounding his release from the club, trying, it seems, to turn this
into a story about Glavine snubbing the Braves. Which makes no sense
given the fact that all of the articles mention that Glavine is going
to be at his son’s baseball tournament, and which Glavine really
doesn’t want to miss after missing such events for 20 years. And that
Glavine recorded a video message to play at the ceremony. And that he
says the circumstances of his departure from the team have nothing to
do with it.
There’ no there there, folks. Move along.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)