Jul 20, 2009, 12:40 PM EDT
* Kyle Kendrick recently got engaged to former Survivor runner-up Stephenie LaGrossa, which is especially interesting because fellow Phillies starter Cole Hamels is married to former Survivor contestant Heidi Strobel. Somewhere a naked Richard Hatch is studying Philadelphia’s depth chart.
* Drew Storen was the first of this year’s draftees to sign and the No. 10 pick has already been promoted to high Single-A
after racking up an amazing 26 strikeouts versus zero walks in 14.2
innings at low Single-A. I’ll be shocked if the former Stanford closer
isn’t in the majors for good by the middle of next season and he could
see Washington as soon as September.
* While the Brewers were trading for Felipe Lopez, the Twins signed Mark Grudzielanek to a minor-league contract in the hopes that the 39-year-old can provide an upgrade over their ugly second base situation despite last playing in a big-league game nearly 12 months ago.
* Matt Gagne of the New York Daily News wrote a lengthy profile
of Sean Forman, who in addition to being one hell of a nice guy runs
the world’s greatest website (besides this one, of course).
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)