Jul 20, 2009, 12:40 PM EDT
* Kyle Kendrick recently got engaged to former Survivor runner-up Stephenie LaGrossa, which is especially interesting because fellow Phillies starter Cole Hamels is married to former Survivor contestant Heidi Strobel. Somewhere a naked Richard Hatch is studying Philadelphia’s depth chart.
* Drew Storen was the first of this year’s draftees to sign and the No. 10 pick has already been promoted to high Single-A
after racking up an amazing 26 strikeouts versus zero walks in 14.2
innings at low Single-A. I’ll be shocked if the former Stanford closer
isn’t in the majors for good by the middle of next season and he could
see Washington as soon as September.
* While the Brewers were trading for Felipe Lopez, the Twins signed Mark Grudzielanek to a minor-league contract in the hopes that the 39-year-old can provide an upgrade over their ugly second base situation despite last playing in a big-league game nearly 12 months ago.
* Matt Gagne of the New York Daily News wrote a lengthy profile
of Sean Forman, who in addition to being one hell of a nice guy runs
the world’s greatest website (besides this one, of course).
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)