Jul 20, 2009, 12:40 PM EST
* Kyle Kendrick recently got engaged to former Survivor runner-up Stephenie LaGrossa, which is especially interesting because fellow Phillies starter Cole Hamels is married to former Survivor contestant Heidi Strobel. Somewhere a naked Richard Hatch is studying Philadelphia’s depth chart.
* Drew Storen was the first of this year’s draftees to sign and the No. 10 pick has already been promoted to high Single-A
after racking up an amazing 26 strikeouts versus zero walks in 14.2
innings at low Single-A. I’ll be shocked if the former Stanford closer
isn’t in the majors for good by the middle of next season and he could
see Washington as soon as September.
* While the Brewers were trading for Felipe Lopez, the Twins signed Mark Grudzielanek to a minor-league contract in the hopes that the 39-year-old can provide an upgrade over their ugly second base situation despite last playing in a big-league game nearly 12 months ago.
* Matt Gagne of the New York Daily News wrote a lengthy profile
of Sean Forman, who in addition to being one hell of a nice guy runs
the world’s greatest website (besides this one, of course).
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)