Jul 21, 2009, 3:24 PM EDT
* Nick Steiner of The Hardball Times broke down Jason Schmidt’s return to the mound last night and concluded
that “he looks close to done as a major-league pitcher” because the
combination of a straight 87-mph fastball and low-80s changeup “won’t
fool very many hitters.” Agreed.
* Matt Bush has been sentenced
to 120 days in residential rehab, 240 hours of community service, three
years of probation, and $2,000 in fines following the former No. 1
overall pick’s latest alcohol-fueled incident. Bush, who revealed that
he’s been sober for three weeks, called his behavior “a disgrace” and
explained: “When I drink alcohol, I become another person I do not
* Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer wrote yesterday
that the Indians “love the OPS, which is on-base percentage plus
slugging percentage. They believe it gives a true picture of an hitter
because it combines reaching base with power.” After reading that, I
had to check the date to make sure it was in fact still 2009.
Pluto is an award-winning columnist, but anyone who thinks that the
Indians’ front office relies upon OPS for anything meaningful is
woefully out of touch with the current state of baseball analysis.
Cleveland and most other teams moved past OPS about a decade ago and
even schmoes like me are beyond OPS. On the other hand, Dayton Moore and the Royals figure to discover the value of OPS within the next five seasons.
* Yunel Escobar announced yesterday that he’ll be making an effort to be more media friendly, but the language barrier remains a big stumbling block.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 60
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (98)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)