Jul 21, 2009, 3:24 PM EDT
* Nick Steiner of The Hardball Times broke down Jason Schmidt’s return to the mound last night and concluded
that “he looks close to done as a major-league pitcher” because the
combination of a straight 87-mph fastball and low-80s changeup “won’t
fool very many hitters.” Agreed.
* Matt Bush has been sentenced
to 120 days in residential rehab, 240 hours of community service, three
years of probation, and $2,000 in fines following the former No. 1
overall pick’s latest alcohol-fueled incident. Bush, who revealed that
he’s been sober for three weeks, called his behavior “a disgrace” and
explained: “When I drink alcohol, I become another person I do not
* Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer wrote yesterday
that the Indians “love the OPS, which is on-base percentage plus
slugging percentage. They believe it gives a true picture of an hitter
because it combines reaching base with power.” After reading that, I
had to check the date to make sure it was in fact still 2009.
Pluto is an award-winning columnist, but anyone who thinks that the
Indians’ front office relies upon OPS for anything meaningful is
woefully out of touch with the current state of baseball analysis.
Cleveland and most other teams moved past OPS about a decade ago and
even schmoes like me are beyond OPS. On the other hand, Dayton Moore and the Royals figure to discover the value of OPS within the next five seasons.
* Yunel Escobar announced yesterday that he’ll be making an effort to be more media friendly, but the language barrier remains a big stumbling block.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 44
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 12
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 12
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 20
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)