Jul 22, 2009, 11:53 AM EDT
Unless you play fantasy or are a fan of the team these guys are
employed by, you might not be aware that they’re putting up some pretty
Javy Vazquez: The 7-7 record is deceiving. Javy’s ERA
sits at 2.86, his WHIP is 1.048, and he has struck out 141 batters (3rd
in MLB) in 126.0 innings (also good for a 5.88 K/BB).
David Aardsma: Much of the preseason hype for a Seattle closer was given to Brandon Morrow.
But after he imploded, Aardsma took over, and has coverted 22 of 24
saves, has an ERA of 1.83 and strikes out more than a batter an inning
(53 K in 44.1 IP). Perhaps even more impressive is that he has allowed
runs in only 4 of his 45 outings.
Wandy Rodriguez: 117 strikeouts (Johan Santana=117). 10-6 record (Johan=11-7). 2.72 ERA (Johan=2.92). 1.23 WHIP (Johan=1.19). 125.2 IP (Johan=123.1).
Jermaine Dye: Quietly crushing the ball yet again. 21 homers, 59 RBI, and a .294/.368/.557 line (along with an OPS+ of 135).
Derek Jeter: Remember last year when Jeter was being
written off (career-low .771 OPS, only 11 SB, worst fielding shortstop
of all-time)? Well, the batting average is up to .319, his OPS is at
.847, he has 18 steals, and his 10 homers are one shy of lasy year’s
total (thank you, New Yankee Stadium). He’s also walking more than he
ever has in 10 years (10.6%), with the lowest strikeout rate of his
career (12.7%). And don’t look now, but his UZR is 1.8, second-best on
the Yankees. Maybe he was hurt last year and no one knew?
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)