Jul 22, 2009, 3:33 PM EDT
* Jason Marquis’ next start has been pushed back from Friday to Tuesday because of a blister on his right middle finger. Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports
that Marquis has “battled the issue for the better part of a month,”
but it hasn’t stopped baseball’s only 12-game winner from going 3-1
with a 1.16 ERA in his last four starts.
* In other Colorado pitching news, 43-year-old Mike Timlin has been working out for the Rockies in the hopes of landing a minor-league contract.
* Michael S. Schmidt and Alan Schwarz of the New York Times wrote a lengthy article
examining how MLB “is conducting genetic testing on some promising
young players and their parents” in Latin American countries.
* Joe Crede rejoined the Twins’ lineup last night after missing two
games with a sore shoulder, went 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles, and is
now unavailable again while scheduling a visit with Dr. Lewis Yocum.
* Cameron Maybin is hitting .341 in 56 games at Triple-A, but Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel speculates
that the Marlins haven’t called him up because they’re suppressing his
service time to delay his eventual arbitration eligibility.
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 9
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 0
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 50
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 136
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 9
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 14
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (138)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)