Jul 22, 2009, 3:33 PM EST
* Jason Marquis’ next start has been pushed back from Friday to Tuesday because of a blister on his right middle finger. Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports
that Marquis has “battled the issue for the better part of a month,”
but it hasn’t stopped baseball’s only 12-game winner from going 3-1
with a 1.16 ERA in his last four starts.
* In other Colorado pitching news, 43-year-old Mike Timlin has been working out for the Rockies in the hopes of landing a minor-league contract.
* Michael S. Schmidt and Alan Schwarz of the New York Times wrote a lengthy article
examining how MLB “is conducting genetic testing on some promising
young players and their parents” in Latin American countries.
* Joe Crede rejoined the Twins’ lineup last night after missing two
games with a sore shoulder, went 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles, and is
now unavailable again while scheduling a visit with Dr. Lewis Yocum.
* Cameron Maybin is hitting .341 in 56 games at Triple-A, but Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel speculates
that the Marlins haven’t called him up because they’re suppressing his
service time to delay his eventual arbitration eligibility.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)