Jul 22, 2009, 3:33 PM EDT
* Jason Marquis’ next start has been pushed back from Friday to Tuesday because of a blister on his right middle finger. Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports
that Marquis has “battled the issue for the better part of a month,”
but it hasn’t stopped baseball’s only 12-game winner from going 3-1
with a 1.16 ERA in his last four starts.
* In other Colorado pitching news, 43-year-old Mike Timlin has been working out for the Rockies in the hopes of landing a minor-league contract.
* Michael S. Schmidt and Alan Schwarz of the New York Times wrote a lengthy article
examining how MLB “is conducting genetic testing on some promising
young players and their parents” in Latin American countries.
* Joe Crede rejoined the Twins’ lineup last night after missing two
games with a sore shoulder, went 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles, and is
now unavailable again while scheduling a visit with Dr. Lewis Yocum.
* Cameron Maybin is hitting .341 in 56 games at Triple-A, but Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel speculates
that the Marlins haven’t called him up because they’re suppressing his
service time to delay his eventual arbitration eligibility.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 16
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 19
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)