Jul 22, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* With the Blue Jays and Indians playing in Toronto, scouts have
converged to get a 2-for-1 showing on Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee. In
particular, Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun reports that the Dodgers, Brewers, Phillies, and Red Sox are among the teams interested in Lee.
Perhaps they all read my piece yesterday suggesting that, all things considered, Lee might be a better trade target than Halladay. With the scouts on hand, Lee allowed just one run in his second straight complete-game win, striking out four and walking none while lowering his ERA to 3.17.
* Vladimir Guerrero’s impending free agency isn’t getting much
attention because he’s hitting a career-worst .290/.319/.415 and has
missed half the season with injuries, but Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register examines what the future holds for the former MVP.
* More great news for Cubs fans: Milton Bradley came off the bench as a pinch-hitter last night, appearing in his 75th game of the season to trigger his $12 million option for 2011.
* Last night the Mets were shut out
for the fifth time in their last 13 games and the ninth time overall
this season. When they actually score a run, the Mets are 44-40.
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 47
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)