Jul 22, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* With the Blue Jays and Indians playing in Toronto, scouts have
converged to get a 2-for-1 showing on Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee. In
particular, Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun reports that the Dodgers, Brewers, Phillies, and Red Sox are among the teams interested in Lee.
Perhaps they all read my piece yesterday suggesting that, all things considered, Lee might be a better trade target than Halladay. With the scouts on hand, Lee allowed just one run in his second straight complete-game win, striking out four and walking none while lowering his ERA to 3.17.
* Vladimir Guerrero’s impending free agency isn’t getting much
attention because he’s hitting a career-worst .290/.319/.415 and has
missed half the season with injuries, but Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register examines what the future holds for the former MVP.
* More great news for Cubs fans: Milton Bradley came off the bench as a pinch-hitter last night, appearing in his 75th game of the season to trigger his $12 million option for 2011.
* Last night the Mets were shut out
for the fifth time in their last 13 games and the ninth time overall
this season. When they actually score a run, the Mets are 44-40.
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 26
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 16
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)