Jul 22, 2009, 11:50 AM EST
* With the Blue Jays and Indians playing in Toronto, scouts have
converged to get a 2-for-1 showing on Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee. In
particular, Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun reports that the Dodgers, Brewers, Phillies, and Red Sox are among the teams interested in Lee.
Perhaps they all read my piece yesterday suggesting that, all things considered, Lee might be a better trade target than Halladay. With the scouts on hand, Lee allowed just one run in his second straight complete-game win, striking out four and walking none while lowering his ERA to 3.17.
* Vladimir Guerrero’s impending free agency isn’t getting much
attention because he’s hitting a career-worst .290/.319/.415 and has
missed half the season with injuries, but Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register examines what the future holds for the former MVP.
* More great news for Cubs fans: Milton Bradley came off the bench as a pinch-hitter last night, appearing in his 75th game of the season to trigger his $12 million option for 2011.
* Last night the Mets were shut out
for the fifth time in their last 13 games and the ninth time overall
this season. When they actually score a run, the Mets are 44-40.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)