Jul 22, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* With the Blue Jays and Indians playing in Toronto, scouts have
converged to get a 2-for-1 showing on Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee. In
particular, Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun reports that the Dodgers, Brewers, Phillies, and Red Sox are among the teams interested in Lee.
Perhaps they all read my piece yesterday suggesting that, all things considered, Lee might be a better trade target than Halladay. With the scouts on hand, Lee allowed just one run in his second straight complete-game win, striking out four and walking none while lowering his ERA to 3.17.
* Vladimir Guerrero’s impending free agency isn’t getting much
attention because he’s hitting a career-worst .290/.319/.415 and has
missed half the season with injuries, but Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register examines what the future holds for the former MVP.
* More great news for Cubs fans: Milton Bradley came off the bench as a pinch-hitter last night, appearing in his 75th game of the season to trigger his $12 million option for 2011.
* Last night the Mets were shut out
for the fifth time in their last 13 games and the ninth time overall
this season. When they actually score a run, the Mets are 44-40.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)