Jul 22, 2009, 10:01 AM EDT
As if things hadn’t gotten comically bad enough for the Mets this year, there’s now word that their VP for Player Development, Tony Bernazard, recently ripped off his shirt and challenged the Double-A Mets to a fight. Seriously.
Via the Daily News:
Bernazard particularly went after middle infield prospect Jose
Coronado, using a slang term associated with a woman’s anatomy, a
source indicated. The confrontation happened about 10 days before the
All-Star break, according to insiders…
While the 52-year-old Bernazard’s actions were over-the-top no
matter what the motivation, alleged underage drinking on the team
apparently was one motivation for the eruption, an organization source
said. Still, sending players to counseling rather than challenging them
to a rumble might have been a more appropriate course of action…
The shoddy treatment of people in the system has led to mocking of the VP behind his back.
The News reported Tuesday that Bernazard, one of GM Omar Minaya’s
top lieutenants, recently erupted at the organization’s manager of
baseball operations. During a game at Citi Field, scouts took their
customary seats in a row behind home plate. Bernazard showed up during
play and wanted a seat occupied by a D-Backs scout. Bernazard’s deputy,
already seated in the row, suggested to the Mets VP that he wait until
the half-inning ended, to minimize the disruption. Bernazard ripped
into his deputy with a profanity-laced tirade as scouts and patrons
watched in disbelief.
Bernazard, remember, was the guy many accused of weaseling behind the scenes and orchestrating the firing of Willie Randolph last year. Carlos Delgado was
also turned off by Bernazard when the Mets pursued him as a free agent
before the 2005 season, claiming that the VP overplayed their common
Puerto Rican heritage as a selling point.
Well, at least this takes some of the spotlight off getting shutout by the Nats last night.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)