Jul 22, 2009, 10:01 AM EST
As if things hadn’t gotten comically bad enough for the Mets this year, there’s now word that their VP for Player Development, Tony Bernazard, recently ripped off his shirt and challenged the Double-A Mets to a fight. Seriously.
Via the Daily News:
Bernazard particularly went after middle infield prospect Jose
Coronado, using a slang term associated with a woman’s anatomy, a
source indicated. The confrontation happened about 10 days before the
All-Star break, according to insiders…
While the 52-year-old Bernazard’s actions were over-the-top no
matter what the motivation, alleged underage drinking on the team
apparently was one motivation for the eruption, an organization source
said. Still, sending players to counseling rather than challenging them
to a rumble might have been a more appropriate course of action…
The shoddy treatment of people in the system has led to mocking of the VP behind his back.
The News reported Tuesday that Bernazard, one of GM Omar Minaya’s
top lieutenants, recently erupted at the organization’s manager of
baseball operations. During a game at Citi Field, scouts took their
customary seats in a row behind home plate. Bernazard showed up during
play and wanted a seat occupied by a D-Backs scout. Bernazard’s deputy,
already seated in the row, suggested to the Mets VP that he wait until
the half-inning ended, to minimize the disruption. Bernazard ripped
into his deputy with a profanity-laced tirade as scouts and patrons
watched in disbelief.
Bernazard, remember, was the guy many accused of weaseling behind the scenes and orchestrating the firing of Willie Randolph last year. Carlos Delgado was
also turned off by Bernazard when the Mets pursued him as a free agent
before the 2005 season, claiming that the VP overplayed their common
Puerto Rican heritage as a selling point.
Well, at least this takes some of the spotlight off getting shutout by the Nats last night.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 0
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)