Jul 22, 2009, 10:01 AM EDT
As if things hadn’t gotten comically bad enough for the Mets this year, there’s now word that their VP for Player Development, Tony Bernazard, recently ripped off his shirt and challenged the Double-A Mets to a fight. Seriously.
Via the Daily News:
Bernazard particularly went after middle infield prospect Jose
Coronado, using a slang term associated with a woman’s anatomy, a
source indicated. The confrontation happened about 10 days before the
All-Star break, according to insiders…
While the 52-year-old Bernazard’s actions were over-the-top no
matter what the motivation, alleged underage drinking on the team
apparently was one motivation for the eruption, an organization source
said. Still, sending players to counseling rather than challenging them
to a rumble might have been a more appropriate course of action…
The shoddy treatment of people in the system has led to mocking of the VP behind his back.
The News reported Tuesday that Bernazard, one of GM Omar Minaya’s
top lieutenants, recently erupted at the organization’s manager of
baseball operations. During a game at Citi Field, scouts took their
customary seats in a row behind home plate. Bernazard showed up during
play and wanted a seat occupied by a D-Backs scout. Bernazard’s deputy,
already seated in the row, suggested to the Mets VP that he wait until
the half-inning ended, to minimize the disruption. Bernazard ripped
into his deputy with a profanity-laced tirade as scouts and patrons
watched in disbelief.
Bernazard, remember, was the guy many accused of weaseling behind the scenes and orchestrating the firing of Willie Randolph last year. Carlos Delgado was
also turned off by Bernazard when the Mets pursued him as a free agent
before the 2005 season, claiming that the VP overplayed their common
Puerto Rican heritage as a selling point.
Well, at least this takes some of the spotlight off getting shutout by the Nats last night.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)