Jul 22, 2009, 10:01 AM EDT
As if things hadn’t gotten comically bad enough for the Mets this year, there’s now word that their VP for Player Development, Tony Bernazard, recently ripped off his shirt and challenged the Double-A Mets to a fight. Seriously.
Via the Daily News:
Bernazard particularly went after middle infield prospect Jose
Coronado, using a slang term associated with a woman’s anatomy, a
source indicated. The confrontation happened about 10 days before the
All-Star break, according to insiders…
While the 52-year-old Bernazard’s actions were over-the-top no
matter what the motivation, alleged underage drinking on the team
apparently was one motivation for the eruption, an organization source
said. Still, sending players to counseling rather than challenging them
to a rumble might have been a more appropriate course of action…
The shoddy treatment of people in the system has led to mocking of the VP behind his back.
The News reported Tuesday that Bernazard, one of GM Omar Minaya’s
top lieutenants, recently erupted at the organization’s manager of
baseball operations. During a game at Citi Field, scouts took their
customary seats in a row behind home plate. Bernazard showed up during
play and wanted a seat occupied by a D-Backs scout. Bernazard’s deputy,
already seated in the row, suggested to the Mets VP that he wait until
the half-inning ended, to minimize the disruption. Bernazard ripped
into his deputy with a profanity-laced tirade as scouts and patrons
watched in disbelief.
Bernazard, remember, was the guy many accused of weaseling behind the scenes and orchestrating the firing of Willie Randolph last year. Carlos Delgado was
also turned off by Bernazard when the Mets pursued him as a free agent
before the 2005 season, claiming that the VP overplayed their common
Puerto Rican heritage as a selling point.
Well, at least this takes some of the spotlight off getting shutout by the Nats last night.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)