Jul 22, 2009, 10:46 AM EDT
The headlines from last night go to Jayson Werthas
he morphs into an indestructible force, and the Phillies as a team for
a 10-game winning streak that is the longest for a defending champion
since 1971. But maybe the guy we should be giving a little more love to
is Joe Blanton.
After a May 21 outing in Cincinnati, Blanton was 2-3 with a 7.11. Since
then, in 10 starts, he’s gone 4-1 with a 2.32 ERA, and struck out 59
while walking only 16 in 66 innings. That includes last night when he
gave up one run in 7 innings in a no-decision.
The strikeouts have certainly helped Blanton’s production. His 7.8
K/9 is up from 5.1 last year, and he’s walking fewer batters (2.7 BB/9
vs 3.0 last year). And according to fangraphs.com, while his average
fastball is still clocking at about 89 mph, he’s throwing slightly more
fastballs and sliders as he ignores his curve more than usual (throws
it 4% less often than in 2008).
Blanton’s also still a relatively young guy at 29 in only his 5th
full season, so it could be that he’s just starting to put it all
together. Not that his recent run will stop the front office from going
after Roy Halladay, though.
By the way, Bill James, in a new and interesting
stat, has the Phillies’ current temperature at 120 degrees. And
honestly, that seems like it might be a bit low.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 76
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (192)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)