Jul 22, 2009, 10:46 AM EDT
The headlines from last night go to Jayson Werthas
he morphs into an indestructible force, and the Phillies as a team for
a 10-game winning streak that is the longest for a defending champion
since 1971. But maybe the guy we should be giving a little more love to
is Joe Blanton.
After a May 21 outing in Cincinnati, Blanton was 2-3 with a 7.11. Since
then, in 10 starts, he’s gone 4-1 with a 2.32 ERA, and struck out 59
while walking only 16 in 66 innings. That includes last night when he
gave up one run in 7 innings in a no-decision.
The strikeouts have certainly helped Blanton’s production. His 7.8
K/9 is up from 5.1 last year, and he’s walking fewer batters (2.7 BB/9
vs 3.0 last year). And according to fangraphs.com, while his average
fastball is still clocking at about 89 mph, he’s throwing slightly more
fastballs and sliders as he ignores his curve more than usual (throws
it 4% less often than in 2008).
Blanton’s also still a relatively young guy at 29 in only his 5th
full season, so it could be that he’s just starting to put it all
together. Not that his recent run will stop the front office from going
after Roy Halladay, though.
By the way, Bill James, in a new and interesting
stat, has the Phillies’ current temperature at 120 degrees. And
honestly, that seems like it might be a bit low.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 0
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 66
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)