Jul 23, 2009, 11:43 AM EST
* Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com, on Eric Wedge’s odd lineup
last night: “Entering tonight, [Shin-Soo] Choo had started 91 of the
Indians’ 94 games this season. He hadn’t been out of the starting
lineup since way back on May 29. Tonight, the Rogers Centre is
celebrating Korean Heritage Night. Presumably, there will be quite a
few Koreans on-hand. If nothing else, there are a handful of Korean
media members here. No one told Wedge. Because, naturally, Choo has the
night off.” Choo, of course, is the most prominent Korean-born baseball
player in the world.
* Jason Schmidt wasn’t very impressive Monday night in his first start since 2007, but was apparently good enough to get another chance this weekend. I’ll set the over/under on runs allowed against the Marlins at 5 1/2.
* He’s only been with the team for a couple weeks, but this picture of Jeff Francoeur from last night’s game basically encapsulates the Mets’ entire season.
* Longtime major leaguer Kevin Mench won’t be back
with the Hanshin Tigers after hitting .148 and “dealing with fatigue
and anxiety issues” during his first (and perhaps last) season in
* Daniel Monson of MLive.com sat down for an interview with all-time announcing great Ernie Harwell, who’s still going strong at the age of 91.
* Alyson Footer digs up some old photos
from a “wives gala” that the Astros held nearly 20 years ago, complete
with shots of Casey Candaele break dancing and lots of 1990s hair.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 148
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 67
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (148)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)