Jul 23, 2009, 3:34 PM EDT
* Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports
that the Pirates’ only other offer for Adam LaRoche “involved another
major-league player and an exchange of larger salaries” with a
“borderline prospect” included, which explains why they opted for the Red Sox’s mediocre proposal.
* Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times penned an entertaining recap of Manny Ramirez’s wild Wednesday night at Dodger Stadium. Or as Ramirez put it: “I thought it worked out pretty good.”
* After being demoted to Triple-A yesterday, Brian Anderson has asked the White Sox to trade him. Unfortunately, as Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun Times points out there aren’t a whole lot of takers for a 27-year-old career .225/.288/.364 hitter.
* Earlier today I wrote
that the Rockies should consider dealing for a veteran reliever rather
than rushing 21-year-old Jhoulys Chacin to the majors for relief help.
Turns out, they might be doing both.
* Alex Rodriguez loaned his car to girlfriend Kate Hudson, Hudson loaned it to her friend, and her friend crashed the car. And for some reason I’m endlessly amused by that chain of events.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)