Jul 23, 2009, 3:34 PM EDT
* Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports
that the Pirates’ only other offer for Adam LaRoche “involved another
major-league player and an exchange of larger salaries” with a
“borderline prospect” included, which explains why they opted for the Red Sox’s mediocre proposal.
* Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times penned an entertaining recap of Manny Ramirez’s wild Wednesday night at Dodger Stadium. Or as Ramirez put it: “I thought it worked out pretty good.”
* After being demoted to Triple-A yesterday, Brian Anderson has asked the White Sox to trade him. Unfortunately, as Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun Times points out there aren’t a whole lot of takers for a 27-year-old career .225/.288/.364 hitter.
* Earlier today I wrote
that the Rockies should consider dealing for a veteran reliever rather
than rushing 21-year-old Jhoulys Chacin to the majors for relief help.
Turns out, they might be doing both.
* Alex Rodriguez loaned his car to girlfriend Kate Hudson, Hudson loaned it to her friend, and her friend crashed the car. And for some reason I’m endlessly amused by that chain of events.
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 0
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 10
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)