Jul 23, 2009, 3:34 PM EST
* Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports
that the Pirates’ only other offer for Adam LaRoche “involved another
major-league player and an exchange of larger salaries” with a
“borderline prospect” included, which explains why they opted for the Red Sox’s mediocre proposal.
* Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times penned an entertaining recap of Manny Ramirez’s wild Wednesday night at Dodger Stadium. Or as Ramirez put it: “I thought it worked out pretty good.”
* After being demoted to Triple-A yesterday, Brian Anderson has asked the White Sox to trade him. Unfortunately, as Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun Times points out there aren’t a whole lot of takers for a 27-year-old career .225/.288/.364 hitter.
* Earlier today I wrote
that the Rockies should consider dealing for a veteran reliever rather
than rushing 21-year-old Jhoulys Chacin to the majors for relief help.
Turns out, they might be doing both.
* Alex Rodriguez loaned his car to girlfriend Kate Hudson, Hudson loaned it to her friend, and her friend crashed the car. And for some reason I’m endlessly amused by that chain of events.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 10
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 28
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)