Jul 23, 2009, 3:34 PM EST
* Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports
that the Pirates’ only other offer for Adam LaRoche “involved another
major-league player and an exchange of larger salaries” with a
“borderline prospect” included, which explains why they opted for the Red Sox’s mediocre proposal.
* Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times penned an entertaining recap of Manny Ramirez’s wild Wednesday night at Dodger Stadium. Or as Ramirez put it: “I thought it worked out pretty good.”
* After being demoted to Triple-A yesterday, Brian Anderson has asked the White Sox to trade him. Unfortunately, as Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun Times points out there aren’t a whole lot of takers for a 27-year-old career .225/.288/.364 hitter.
* Earlier today I wrote
that the Rockies should consider dealing for a veteran reliever rather
than rushing 21-year-old Jhoulys Chacin to the majors for relief help.
Turns out, they might be doing both.
* Alex Rodriguez loaned his car to girlfriend Kate Hudson, Hudson loaned it to her friend, and her friend crashed the car. And for some reason I’m endlessly amused by that chain of events.
- Report: Mariners break off talks with Robinson Cano after Jay Z “overplayed his hand” 0
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 86
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (86)