Jul 25, 2009, 7:36 PM EDT
– The Rays battled from eight runs down to complete the biggest comeback in the franchise’s history in a 10-9 win over the Blue Jays in 12 innings. The Rays trailed 9-1 at the end of six innings.
– Jayson Stark of ESPN.com
says the Phillies balked at the Blue Jays insistence on both J.A. Happ
and Kyle Drabek in a deal for Roy Halladay. And the Angels? Gordon Edes
of Yahoo.com reports they offered Jered Weaver and a choice of top infield or outfield prospects, including Brandon Wood. No dice.
– Chris Tillman is expected to make his major league debut
against the Royals on Wednesday. The bad news, it’s against Zack
Greinke. That Erik Bedard deal? Just call it the trade that keeps on
– In order to make room for Saturday’s starter Jon Niese, the Mets placed Gary Sheffield on the disabled list with a right hamstring strain. Jerry Manuel will soon leave his post to embark on his new trade as a fortune teller.
– Mark Buehrle will appear on The Late Show with David Letterman on Monday, reading off a “Top 10″ list alongside teammates Dewayne Wise and Josh Fields. It turns out Conan is just too Hollywood.
– The Athletics rallied for six runs in the seventh inning to end the Yankees eight-game winning streak on Saturday afternoon.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)