Jul 25, 2009, 7:36 PM EST
– The Rays battled from eight runs down to complete the biggest comeback in the franchise’s history in a 10-9 win over the Blue Jays in 12 innings. The Rays trailed 9-1 at the end of six innings.
– Jayson Stark of ESPN.com
says the Phillies balked at the Blue Jays insistence on both J.A. Happ
and Kyle Drabek in a deal for Roy Halladay. And the Angels? Gordon Edes
of Yahoo.com reports they offered Jered Weaver and a choice of top infield or outfield prospects, including Brandon Wood. No dice.
– Chris Tillman is expected to make his major league debut
against the Royals on Wednesday. The bad news, it’s against Zack
Greinke. That Erik Bedard deal? Just call it the trade that keeps on
– In order to make room for Saturday’s starter Jon Niese, the Mets placed Gary Sheffield on the disabled list with a right hamstring strain. Jerry Manuel will soon leave his post to embark on his new trade as a fortune teller.
– Mark Buehrle will appear on The Late Show with David Letterman on Monday, reading off a “Top 10″ list alongside teammates Dewayne Wise and Josh Fields. It turns out Conan is just too Hollywood.
– The Athletics rallied for six runs in the seventh inning to end the Yankees eight-game winning streak on Saturday afternoon.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (228)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)