Jul 25, 2009, 7:36 PM EST
– The Rays battled from eight runs down to complete the biggest comeback in the franchise’s history in a 10-9 win over the Blue Jays in 12 innings. The Rays trailed 9-1 at the end of six innings.
– Jayson Stark of ESPN.com
says the Phillies balked at the Blue Jays insistence on both J.A. Happ
and Kyle Drabek in a deal for Roy Halladay. And the Angels? Gordon Edes
of Yahoo.com reports they offered Jered Weaver and a choice of top infield or outfield prospects, including Brandon Wood. No dice.
– Chris Tillman is expected to make his major league debut
against the Royals on Wednesday. The bad news, it’s against Zack
Greinke. That Erik Bedard deal? Just call it the trade that keeps on
– In order to make room for Saturday’s starter Jon Niese, the Mets placed Gary Sheffield on the disabled list with a right hamstring strain. Jerry Manuel will soon leave his post to embark on his new trade as a fortune teller.
– Mark Buehrle will appear on The Late Show with David Letterman on Monday, reading off a “Top 10″ list alongside teammates Dewayne Wise and Josh Fields. It turns out Conan is just too Hollywood.
– The Athletics rallied for six runs in the seventh inning to end the Yankees eight-game winning streak on Saturday afternoon.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 13
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 81
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (82)