Jul 26, 2009, 10:47 AM EDT
“Believe me, I wasn’t paid to walk. I was paid to try to do some damage.”
– Jim Rice addressed reporters
at a news conference in Cooperstown on Saturday. Rice, along with
all-time stolen base leader Rickey Henderson will be inducted into the
Hall of Fame on Sunday. Somewhere, Bengie Molina is smiling.
“We’re not looking at this as a one-year deal, I assure you.”
– Cardinals chairman Bill Dewitt would like to lock up the newly-acquired Matt Holliday.
Only problem, Holliday is represented by Scott Boras. There’s at least
some hope though, because the Cardinals did get Boras-client Kyle Lohse
to forgo free agency when he signed a four-year extension with the club
“Do you put these guys in, and do you
put names with an asterisk beside the name, ‘Hey, they did it, but
here’s why.’ To be safe, that’s the only way I can see how you can do
– More Hall of Fame talk as Hank Aaron told the San Francisco Chronicle that steroid users should get in the Hall of Fame, as long as there is some recognition of their wrongdoing.
“I thought he was talking about a sign or something. And he was like, that wall.”
– Jason Bay describes teammate Adam LaRoche’s reaction to seeing the Green Monster.
“You watch little signs on the mound.
Really, the result tells you a lot with a guy that has that good a
stuff. It was necessary to have that discussion afterwards. I know he
doesn’t want to say that anything’s bothering him. But we’ll find out
tomorrow in more detail.”
– Manager Don Wakamatsu thinks Erik Bedard may be hurt again. The southpaw lasted just three innings in a loss to the Indians on Saturday night.
“I was nervous. But I took a deep breath and just did what I love to do. I am happy I was able to help the team.”
– 21-year-old Jhoulys Chacin made his major league debut against the Giants on Saturday, working a scoreless ninth, including a swinging strikeout of Juan Uribe to end it.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)