Jul 26, 2009, 10:47 AM EDT
“Believe me, I wasn’t paid to walk. I was paid to try to do some damage.”
– Jim Rice addressed reporters
at a news conference in Cooperstown on Saturday. Rice, along with
all-time stolen base leader Rickey Henderson will be inducted into the
Hall of Fame on Sunday. Somewhere, Bengie Molina is smiling.
“We’re not looking at this as a one-year deal, I assure you.”
– Cardinals chairman Bill Dewitt would like to lock up the newly-acquired Matt Holliday.
Only problem, Holliday is represented by Scott Boras. There’s at least
some hope though, because the Cardinals did get Boras-client Kyle Lohse
to forgo free agency when he signed a four-year extension with the club
“Do you put these guys in, and do you
put names with an asterisk beside the name, ‘Hey, they did it, but
here’s why.’ To be safe, that’s the only way I can see how you can do
– More Hall of Fame talk as Hank Aaron told the San Francisco Chronicle that steroid users should get in the Hall of Fame, as long as there is some recognition of their wrongdoing.
“I thought he was talking about a sign or something. And he was like, that wall.”
– Jason Bay describes teammate Adam LaRoche’s reaction to seeing the Green Monster.
“You watch little signs on the mound.
Really, the result tells you a lot with a guy that has that good a
stuff. It was necessary to have that discussion afterwards. I know he
doesn’t want to say that anything’s bothering him. But we’ll find out
tomorrow in more detail.”
– Manager Don Wakamatsu thinks Erik Bedard may be hurt again. The southpaw lasted just three innings in a loss to the Indians on Saturday night.
“I was nervous. But I took a deep breath and just did what I love to do. I am happy I was able to help the team.”
– 21-year-old Jhoulys Chacin made his major league debut against the Giants on Saturday, working a scoreless ninth, including a swinging strikeout of Juan Uribe to end it.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)