Jul 26, 2009, 11:28 AM EDT
Mets get: Chris Snyder
Diamondbacks get: Nick Evans and Eddie Kunz
Why it should happen:
While Snyder has been sidelined with a lower back strain, Miguel
Montero has been a house-of-fire, batting .380 with five homers and 14
RBI in July. He’s been so good that Snyder may be relegated to a bench role when he returns from the disabled list later this week.
“Snydes is still rehabbing so I still
have a few days to mull over what I’m going to do, said manager A.J.
Hinch. “But he’s (Montero) certainly staked his claim to significant
Snyder, 28, just signed a contract extension with the Diamondbacks over
the winter. He’s owed a little less than $1.5 million for the rest of
2009, $4.75 million in 2010 and $5.75 million in 2011. His contract
includes a club option in 2012 for $6.75 million, with a $750,000
Meanwhile, Brian Schneider is in the last year of his deal with the
Mets. The Mets have no real major-league ready catchers in their
system, as Josh Thole, while batting .337/.405/.441 with Double-A
Binghamton, is still fine-tuning his skills as a backstop. There isn’t
much hope among impending free agents (Bengie Molina, Ramon Hernandez,
Snyder would give the Mets a young catcher with fine defensive
skills (he has thrown out 32.7% of would-be basestealers in his career
and managed a perfect fielding percentage in 2008), who projects as a
20-homer guy from the right side of the plate with a full season of
at-bats (.737 career OPS).
As for the Diamondbacks, they would get a 21-year-old power bat who
has crushed lefties to the tune of a .919 OPS in the minors. He could
contribute at first base or the outfield as soon as this season.
Meanwhile, Kunz is a supreme groundball pitcher (67.4% in the minors),
who can ably step in if the Diamondbacks decide to trade Jon Rauch
and/or Chad Qualls. Considering how much Snyder is being paid, the Mets
might not even have to give up this much.
Will it happen?
Probably not before the deadline, but Snyder is sure to be dealt before next season.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 24
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 28
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 46
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (185)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)