Jul 26, 2009, 11:28 AM EDT
Mets get: Chris Snyder
Diamondbacks get: Nick Evans and Eddie Kunz
Why it should happen:
While Snyder has been sidelined with a lower back strain, Miguel
Montero has been a house-of-fire, batting .380 with five homers and 14
RBI in July. He’s been so good that Snyder may be relegated to a bench role when he returns from the disabled list later this week.
“Snydes is still rehabbing so I still
have a few days to mull over what I’m going to do, said manager A.J.
Hinch. “But he’s (Montero) certainly staked his claim to significant
Snyder, 28, just signed a contract extension with the Diamondbacks over
the winter. He’s owed a little less than $1.5 million for the rest of
2009, $4.75 million in 2010 and $5.75 million in 2011. His contract
includes a club option in 2012 for $6.75 million, with a $750,000
Meanwhile, Brian Schneider is in the last year of his deal with the
Mets. The Mets have no real major-league ready catchers in their
system, as Josh Thole, while batting .337/.405/.441 with Double-A
Binghamton, is still fine-tuning his skills as a backstop. There isn’t
much hope among impending free agents (Bengie Molina, Ramon Hernandez,
Snyder would give the Mets a young catcher with fine defensive
skills (he has thrown out 32.7% of would-be basestealers in his career
and managed a perfect fielding percentage in 2008), who projects as a
20-homer guy from the right side of the plate with a full season of
at-bats (.737 career OPS).
As for the Diamondbacks, they would get a 21-year-old power bat who
has crushed lefties to the tune of a .919 OPS in the minors. He could
contribute at first base or the outfield as soon as this season.
Meanwhile, Kunz is a supreme groundball pitcher (67.4% in the minors),
who can ably step in if the Diamondbacks decide to trade Jon Rauch
and/or Chad Qualls. Considering how much Snyder is being paid, the Mets
might not even have to give up this much.
Will it happen?
Probably not before the deadline, but Snyder is sure to be dealt before next season.
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 27
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 52
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 66
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings