Jul 27, 2009, 11:12 PM EDT
In what will hopefully be the first of multiple moves to upgrade their
offense, the Giants picked up Ryan Garko from the Indians for
left-hander Scott Barnes.
The 29-year-old Garko was hitting .285/.362/.464 this season and is
a career .283/.355/.450 hitter. On the surface, that makes him a
perfectly adequate stopgap at first base. However, much of his
production has come against southpaws. He had a 960 OPS against them
this year. Versus righties, his OPS this year and for his career is
right around 770. Given that he’s a weak defensive first baseman, he
may actually be a downgrade from Travis Ishikawa against righties.
The Giants need to accept that and continue to sniff around for a
left-handed first baseman or an upgrade elsewhere. Garko definitely has
his uses, particularly since he’s still making close to the minimum
salary, but he’s the replacement for Rich Aurilia, not a player who
figures to excel as a regular.
In Barnes, the Indians are getting a 21-year-old southpaw who was
12-3 with a 2.85 ERA, 82 H and 99/29 K/BB in 98 IP for Single-A San
Jose. The 2008 eighth-round pick has a slightly below average fastball,
but good command and a strong enough changeup to potentially crack the
Cleveland rotation in the second half of next year. He’s probably a
fourth starter at best.
They can also now give Andy Marte one last chance to prove himself.
The former top prospect is still just 25 and he was hitting
.327/.369/.593 for Triple-A Columbus. He’ll be plugged into Garko’s
role as the first baseman when Victor Martinez is catching or DHs. If
Martinez goes in a trade later this week, then Marte could take over as
the starting first baseman.
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 5
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 3
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 4
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)