Jul 27, 2009, 11:12 PM EDT
In what will hopefully be the first of multiple moves to upgrade their
offense, the Giants picked up Ryan Garko from the Indians for
left-hander Scott Barnes.
The 29-year-old Garko was hitting .285/.362/.464 this season and is
a career .283/.355/.450 hitter. On the surface, that makes him a
perfectly adequate stopgap at first base. However, much of his
production has come against southpaws. He had a 960 OPS against them
this year. Versus righties, his OPS this year and for his career is
right around 770. Given that he’s a weak defensive first baseman, he
may actually be a downgrade from Travis Ishikawa against righties.
The Giants need to accept that and continue to sniff around for a
left-handed first baseman or an upgrade elsewhere. Garko definitely has
his uses, particularly since he’s still making close to the minimum
salary, but he’s the replacement for Rich Aurilia, not a player who
figures to excel as a regular.
In Barnes, the Indians are getting a 21-year-old southpaw who was
12-3 with a 2.85 ERA, 82 H and 99/29 K/BB in 98 IP for Single-A San
Jose. The 2008 eighth-round pick has a slightly below average fastball,
but good command and a strong enough changeup to potentially crack the
Cleveland rotation in the second half of next year. He’s probably a
fourth starter at best.
They can also now give Andy Marte one last chance to prove himself.
The former top prospect is still just 25 and he was hitting
.327/.369/.593 for Triple-A Columbus. He’ll be plugged into Garko’s
role as the first baseman when Victor Martinez is catching or DHs. If
Martinez goes in a trade later this week, then Marte could take over as
the starting first baseman.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)