Jul 27, 2009, 3:16 PM EDT
* Mets vice president of player development Tony Bernazard learned the hard way this afternoon that adding to your long list of “incidents” by challenging a clubhouse full of minor leaguers to a fight while shirtless will get you fired. So, you know, let that be a lesson to everyone else. Keep your shirt on.
* Alex Rodriguez took his two daughters and girlfriend Kate Hudson to
the Yankees’ annual family picnic over the weekend, and then made out with one of them in front of the assembled media.
* Spencer Fordin of MLB.com reports
that 21-year-old Chris Tillman will make his MLB debut Wednesday
against Zack Greinke and the Royals. Tillman has made some big strides
with his control since coming to Baltimore in the Erik Bedard trade
with Seattle, and is now among the elite pitching prospects in
* Boston has no plans to skip
John Smoltz in the rotation despite his 1-4 record and 7.04 ERA, which
is smart because both his raw stuff and 28/5 K/BB ratio in 30.2 innings
suggest that he’ll turn things around soon enough.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead